USB-C for charging

Hi all. Wanted to share a technique I’m using to charge my board using usb-c. You can buy these tiny usb-c boards (search “ZYPDS” on ebay, ~4$. This board does the usb-c power negotiation to 20V. You can then step that up with a cc/cv boost converter to your charging voltage.

This lets you use the tiny 100w usb-c chargers to charge your board. I find this particularly useful because I’m always carrying one anyway for my laptop.

34 Likes

That’s it really cool

How does this booster works for you? I have one that I tried boosting from 19 V to 42 V, but it gets extremely hot and the maximum current I could set was bellow 1 A or it would shut down

3 Likes

This would be great for a campus cruiser kinda board.

5 Likes

My thoughts exactly. Like a USB-C E-Penny board. Could have dual USB-C ports for faster charging

10 Likes

So I guess the major disadvantage is that you have to fit all that inside. Doesn’t seem difficult to set up though.

1 Like

The actual USB-C board is pretty small. I think you’re looking at the BMS, which you’d definitely want in there anyway.

2 Likes

oh I see that now thanks. I thought it was the DC to DC converter actually.

1 Like

Are you that guy on reddit that posted about this?

Sorry for the lack of updates, been unable to test charging my board via bms / this charger b/c I don’t have the proper wiresize to get a good crimp on the balance cables. Getting the wire today, so will try to update with charging efficiency. Might also do an experiment to see if it’s possible to use 2 in parallel (sorta sketchy, but with same charger maybe fine). Have not posted about this on reddit, only a comment in a the bay esk8 group.

1 Like

Dual USB-C charging would be dope since theres so many dual USB C chargers out there anyway

2 Likes

Plz share link to 200W dual USB C charger

3 Likes

90W single is the best I could find, unfortunately.

1 Like

Great minds think alike I guess.

9 Likes

At 90W a 10s4p board would take a little over 5 hours to charge from 0 to 100%

6 Likes

yeah charging usb c is good for small range board. I read that it’s charging at around 2.5A

2 Likes
1 Like

For our neoONE XS we build USB C charging into our BMS, can charge at 100W maximum.

13 Likes

Nice! are you also using the ZYPDS?

We built a charging circuit into our BMS which is part of our battery PCB.

2 Likes

is the BMS going to be available for purchase separately, and is it charge and discharge?
and got some pics to tease us with? :yum:

3 Likes