College Commuter | First Board | 2WD

This; so much this :arrow_up: :smiley:

1 Like

I don’t know that these two are strictly compatible, the trucks are similar to caliber, but not quite the same. If this is your first board (maybe you just mean first DIY?), this is a heck of a high dollar setup to just jump right into. Board dynamics sells the trucks with mounts for belts. I would start with those, they’re solid, and you to gear drives later on if you decide belts aren’t good enough.

Thanks for the replies. I do plan on getting an enclosure or making one. Both @eBoosted and @BigBen seem like good options, and i would prefer to go that route. However, I don’t the either one of them has made one for the deck I am using, but I may be able to use a Jet Spud enclosure. I realize flipsky isn’t the best quality, and I originally planned on using Maytech motors. However, my parents already got me a motor from flipsky, and they don’t give refunds.

1 Like

I’ve got all of my components figured out and ordered except my battery and enclosure. I plan on making my own enclosure, and I would like to make a battery pack out of 40T cells. Right now I’m trying to figure out how to layout the cells, and I figured out a way to make it all fit. However, I’m not sure if it will work.

Will this layout work, or would it be better to do a double stack layout?

Those cells in the middle will be difficult to incorporate into the pack.

Yea I was about to ask: have you ever built a battery before?

Have you thought how your series and parallel connections will be laid out?

2 Likes

Yeah, I thought they might be. I’m just trying to avoid having to do a double stack and would like it to be a single stack.

What’s you dimensions?

If Our can fit 8 cells side by side. I’d recommend a 2px5p layout. Standard stuff really. You just need to turn the outer cells by 90’

8 cells side by side is doable, but I’m not sure what you mean by 2px5p. What does that look like?

Heya Zach, cool to see you here. Where about are you located? Might be able to get some help with that battery to avoid any issues.

Looking forward to see how this comes together!

Thanks. I’m in Indiana

I figured how to layout my cells for my battery and still have room for my BMS and VESC.

I would like to spot weld my battery, but I don’t know if the spot welders I have access to will work. If they don’t work, I will either build a 3D printed pack or see if someone will spot weld the p-groups for me.

1 Like

10s4p is large for a college commuter IMO… If you can hold out a little bit for higher voltage ESC’s I’d just go 14-16 s1p of S40T or MP42

that layout looks good. 10s4p is heavy, but can be done. cells on their own will be around 1.9 Kg

What spot welder do you have access to? Have you welded before?

No, I’ve never welded a battery before. I have access to an American Beauty 105-A3 and a home built spot welder. I saw @BluPenguin post yesterday as well, so I think I might do that. I realize 10s4p is large, but I’ve decided to make this more of a general cruiser instead of a small commuter.

1 Like

Sounds good. If you’ve got someone to help you setup the welder for welding batteries, I would ask them.
The welder looks simple enough and applicable. Though I dont have direct experience with that model.

I run a 10s4p as a cruiser as well as a last mile board

His welding service? it is dirt cheap for the effort

bro as someone who built an esk8 before for school. You want a small board and what you’re building is gonna be cumbersome to hold. build something the size of the boosted mini. try hub to reduce weight. 5ah -10ah is plenty. i recommend trying to modify your board so that it will able to be charged with USB-C PD. SO you don’t have to bring an extra charger. depends on your weight, i think 29 - 35 inch is perfect for a commuter board. good luck

1 Like

Thats fair. Though depends on the person. I carry my evo 36 with bergs and 10s4p no problem. usually I roll it but its not unmanagable or “cumbersome”

Do You Lift Bro?

1 Like

I’m not worried about the weight at all. I might look into charging with usb-c, but right now that is not the plan

1 Like