TS100 soldering iron thread

The old TS100, though rated for 65W, actually never drew more than 20-something Watts.

And it’s not just the power that is improved. The real deal is USB-c PD. Now you can use it to power your phone, laptop, iron, charge lipos or even your Esk8. Yes, I am in love.

2 Likes

TS80, Get the kit with the big tip, cable and power supply. The cable is worth it. TS100 the cable is also worth it. Nice soft slinky silicone cables.

You saw my Ryobi mod? No stand, but can just lay it on the table, the tip stays clear of the surface. If you’re using this as your bench iron, yeah get/print a stand. But I’d recommend a bench iron. These deliver good power but the ergos are a bit off.

I panicked and went with the Hakko FX888.

2 Likes

Gulp. But not terrible, and probably nicer to use for prolonged periods than the TS guys.

I haven’t had any need for a tight area iron. I just need an old faithful that can pump power for 8awg wire and whatnot.

1 Like

888 is good for anything but this I’m afraid. It’ll work but not as well as other options.

damn it.

2 Likes

There is zero reason to get the TS80. Get the TS80P. It is worth the extra $9.

2 Likes

I haven’t seen your mod. I could easily buy an aftermarket stand

The ergos don’t bother me since its not for daily use

Voltage is in a good range for direct drive.

There are thingiverse things with integrated usb port, iron stand, even dps psu chassis.

1 Like

These irons are absolutely amazing. Great power and super small. The only bad thing I can say is that the casing is quite brittle and mine has snapped in many places. I do believe you can get new cases though.

The TS80/80P case is alloy :slight_smile:

I have been using the TS100 for a few years, love it!

But it recently broke, I thought it just let the smoke out but on closer inspection the positive pin in the barrel connector snapped off. :flushed: Not sure if just age or because I was drunk at the time I was too rough with the plug.

So I rewired it to have just a wire with XT60 on the end.

8 Likes

I got the TS100 and was using it quite a bit when I was overseas on a business trip.
However this will only work for medium sized soldering jobs where not a loss of heating mass is needed.

I consider it a good overall soldering iron to solder Cables, PCBs etc.
If you want to solder some thicker cables, ground plane elements or batteries / strips I would recommend a 150W+ Iron with a bigger tip and a “boost” button however.

There is always a right tool for the right job - TS100 will not be a tool that fits all requirements - but very good value

1 Like

Also I upgraded to a 19V Toshiba power supply with 4A

3 Likes

26 V or bust :wink:

2 Likes

Depending on what the Step Down Converter RT7272B is set to this might be a good idea - or not…

In the spec sheet I got the working voltage was declared at 18V max… But there are so many different ones around so yeah

At the time most people talked about the 32V as the absolute max and 25-26V would be fine but pushing it. Min has been fine for nearly two years now at 25.8V.

2 Likes

The converter itself is rated to max. 36V so yeah… I just worry about the Step Down converter being set to quite a lower voltage and then just “burning” the overflow

I got the UY-CHAN TS-80 and it’s been great! No complaints here. The USB C soft cable that comes with it is nice too but I wish it was longer.