TS100 soldering iron thread

Cause just one would be asinine lol

4 Likes

I got a TS80!

I like it well and good. Apart from I ordered the wrong tip :grimacing: NEw one in mail.

Soldered some 12awg wires to connectors to christen it. I’m getting low voltage readouts with the included QC wall wart occasionally so I’m switching firmware. Unplugging/replugging resets it but I don’t wanna do that while working on a battery ya know?Perhaps it’s my power splitter plugged into a power splitter plugged into a power splitter because I don’t have an extension cord. Only my monitor plugged on one of those.

I do like it all the same.

4 Likes

Try using a 3.0 spec like a phone fast charger.

How do you adjust the temp on the TS80?

The same button you tap to heat it up, just long press

My wall wart works perfect for my iron, as well as my DIY Aliexpress QC3 bank. Try updating the firmware, I did that right when I got mine

1 Like

I just got a TS-80P. What temperature should I use for various soldering jobs? Like soldering on a XT-90 connector for example.

You will get a feel for it with time just play around abit. Make sure to tin and use the bras sponge often As soon as it gets dull locking you can’t solder shit no matter temp. (I don’t enjoy the water sponge)

I am fluctuating between 320-370 C most of the time but if I really need that heat I might go up to 400-420C. Tip size matter more though. Get the largest one you can fit for the job.

I use RA flux in a tub and 63/37 RA solder from MG chemicals (the 4880-4888 lineup). Got a few 1 pound spools. I like 16Awg the most. And use 20 AWG for the real tiny stuff. To me mg chemicals is top of the line quality at a reasonable price.

1 Like

If youre doing small items, get down closer to the minimum temp needed to melt your solder and then add 30*

For most of the 14g-10g work I do with the TS100, I set to 300-330 and routinely hit the turbo boost up to 420*C.

Remember, all the heat in the world wont fix old solder, absence of flux, the wrong tip, etc etc

Its an impressive iron for sure. Just did some 10awg to pads on an ESC. Very impressive

I definitely need to make a better stand for it, its come swinging off my bench a few times lately

2 Likes

Hey guys!
Just wanted to give a little update to the ts100.
I just got the “upgraded original” model. (The one that comes with the little sponge stand and cheap solder for 72$.
After reading through this thread it seems as if they used to supply a 19v charger with the iron, they now actually provide a 24v 3a desktop brick which was a nice surprise.

No need to go out of your way to get a 24v brick/powersupply!

1 Like

Agreed. I would prefer SQ001 soldering iron. I got it cheaper than TS001 but the performance is as good as TS001.

This one is cheaper and more hackable I guess.

https://deninet.com/blog/2021/05/09/pinecil-25-smart-soldering-iron

4 Likes

Do you know what kind of tips it uses? Ive been looking for one like that.

same tips as the ts100 iirs

2 Likes

Highly recommend getting a TS-BC2 tip, I use it the most often

2 Likes

ts-D24 is better

death to cone tips unless you’re doing smd

2 Likes

Just got my Pinecil, and it’s a dream.
Better than the TS100 in nearly every way - Cheaper, better ergo, more power options. I don’t know what the TS100’s build quality is like, but the Pinecil is very solid.

Now I just need to find someone with a bigger 3d printer than mine so I can have a nice 3d printed case to go with it.

5 Likes

Omg the ts100 case is so crappy it’s clearly meant to be replaced with a printed something, mine cracked then got an error and I tried fixing the spring contacts the. Gave up. Shortly after I found that similar one and figured I would get it.

1 Like

10000% recommend.

1 Like

Does anyone know where to get original TS100 / Pinecil tips in Germany/Europe? A lot of offers seem to be 3rd party knock offs with poor performance (unstable temperature sensing) – even if the pictures in the online shops show tips with logo.