TorqueBoards Direct Drive Motor Kit

Dam im sorry u went through all that but im glad u wind up getting at least some motors to work and getting a good working board.

1 Like

I think I’m getting that same thing happening to me but it happens when the motors are cold? Lol, such a mess I’m wondering if its the outer part of the axle chattering not the inside but best to move on because it never ends.

I think it’s crazy :neutral_face: lots of stories about bad experiences… Not to downplay any of that at all because it really does suck, but maybe a more silent opinion these days that could be said:

I’ve ordered from Dexter quite a few times over the years and never had an order messed up or had a faulty product. Communication and shipping has always been timely and flawless, even needed to change shipping address last minute and got it changed via email just fine. My most recent order last week was delayed a few days and I got notice the same day that it would take a couple days to ship out… And then it shipped a couple days later.

I guess I get lucky or something, I still feel confident ordering from him… But that’s just me personally. I’ve had one motor go bad cause I burnt it up on purpose (didn’t intend to destroy it but I might as well have doing what I did) and got it replaced hassle free for the cost of the motor itself in no time.

I read these stories… And it all sucks to hear. I guess :man_shrugging: everyone makes up their own mind. I always get what I pay for and it works, but if it were me that lost $3000 worth of gear to a vendor I wouldn’t be shopping there again. If it were $250 worth of gear that didn’t work I wouldn’t shop there again. If it were $100 worth of gear I wouldn’t shop there again unless I had no choice.

3 Likes

I agree with you feel the same.

2 Likes

I dumped the rest of my statorade in these and went to town with the thermal paste. Brought my average temps from 68-70°C to 45°C when comparing logs with similar consumption. Another benefit is that now motor temps seem super stable, and I didn’t get them to exceed 60°C max.

I tried a little statorade previously, and it seemed to help, but the effect overall was relatively unimpressive.

3 Likes

Where did you put statorade in?

poked through this silicone and got as deep in as I could.

1 Like

Interesting. I’ll give it a crack.

is there a video anyone has to tear apart the motors and loctite the bearings in? I’m sick of having this as a paperweight since dexter isn’t responding.

1 Like

Jindra has been pioneering TB DD repair techniques. This might help:

3 Likes

Ya I must apologize for getting fired up and using this forum to vent. I apologize for that. Dexter was super responsive until he wasnt and i learned a lot through the experience, expensive lesson but that is par for the course when jumping into DIY & starting to build these wonderful machines. No disrespect intended just frustration being vented in the wrong place. I appreciate this community very much and don’t ever want to bring any energy here that is not productive and helpful. And will not make that mistake again. Thanks to everyone thst makes this community so wonderful!

6 Likes

No need to apologize, you’ve lost enough money on these drives that it’s warranted :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

5 Likes

Nice, was really looking forward to someone to test it

1 Like

Update… Seems to lose its effectiveness after a couple rides. :neutral_face:

I feel like my DDs these days just heat up more than they used to. Statorade helps, but it seems it helps like a bandaid.

2 Likes

I wish someone would make a great DD setup : ( when I ride my revel kit I just love it

I have 2 sets of TB DD’s just chilling, both need 1 motor replacement, but not wasting my time or more $ on them

2 Likes

fastboard is seemly gonna be the DD motor vendor weve been waiting for but only time will tell wat he decides to do with his dds. @worldismine772 only issue i have with him is hes very much a downhill longboarder by heart so some things that we like to see be done with eboards hes hesistant or not willing to do due to personal reasons

5 Likes

Any sign of leakage? The motor has to be well sealed at the outer perimeter, there is significant g force acting on the statorade and any tiny gap will let it out

They’re probably just bad bearings unless they collapsed and shredded the insides. It sucks with a new product but there is a path to making these legitimately good if you can let go of the resentment. Think of it as showing torqueboards how to do their fucking job for them. :joy:

It’s baffling to me torqueboards has done nothing about information, it’s been months now and the website is the same, same people are still being ignored.

Like even if you ordered an assload of these DD motors with issues and have to bail yourself out now. These are totally fixable but dumping this on each new customer is ridiculous and such a terrible approach since they can be fixed inhouse, I’m so confused.

1 Like

Are you confident that even after our DIY fixes they won’t break again in the same way after a while? Doesn’t seem like these are manufacturing defects, rather bad design that leads to large failure rates over time…

5 Likes