TorqueBoards Direct Drive Motor Kit

bound motor

onsra is meh imo one i hate dkp im out for top speed and stabilty not to carve and two his specs for his dd motors seems off like u cant have 3k watt motors at 40 amps max on 12s 40amps on 12s only gets 2k watts per motor not 3k watts. Plus lack of pulley support for different types of wheels and he dont sell replacement cans like most companies who sell DD is just meh. Even though his boards only outputting 2k watts total power anyway since it can only go about 27 to 35 like most hobby prebuilts on the market rn.

yup bound motor

1 Like

Unfortunately whilst trying to set up my TB DD something happened whilst running motor detection.

Any advise what to do 2x motors seem to have seized up.

First video is first time i ran motor detection second time is second motor detection and so on now only 2x drives seem to spin with the others feeling like they are catching on something inside and grinding against it.

1 Like

Hmm those seizes look worrying. You should try the hand test, although with MR60s already installed you’d need to short the phases with a wire to do it.

Maybe it’s just down to motor detection over CAN bugging out; you could try to first set up one pair, and then the other.

Quite odd that they seized at the same time… makes me think it could be a software thing.

2 Likes

Yh it’s a hard one wether it is hardware or software issue or both.

It only seems to be detecting 3 vescs as well well at least I think it is, this is what comes up

If your motors spin by hand freely see if the problem follows the motor or esc. Also set up 1 motor at a time not over can in case. Imo looks more like esc /software issue right now to me too.

You could eliminate the binding issue completely if you run it without the wheels attached, as long as the motors are kind of stuck to the hangers with the tape still.

1 Like

Yh I’ll give it a go. One motor on each hanger doesn’t seem to roll freely. Will I most likely have to take it apart ?

I took one of the seized motors off does it look normal it defiantly doesn’t spin I have to push it hard to get it to turn around.

Your problem is either the bearings are bad/have shavings in them from binding. The binding could be the core is pushed too far in or the wheels were too tight without spacers. @Kram720 taps the middle to release it a bit, if that or cleaning the bearing doesn’t work with removing the shield you probably have to take it all apart. Also be careful a magnet didn’t get loose and you’re making it worse by turning it but I doubt that.

1 Like

Anyone know if the 35D baseplate uses a different length kingpin or I need 0.4 bushings? The one I ordered didn’t come with one installed and swapping the one from the 50 seems to crush the bushings. Why couldn’t they just include one now hopefully the fuckin local fastener place has one. :expressionless:

Or i dunno I re order 0.4 bushings for the back :roll_eyes:

Does switching from a 50 to a 35 decrease motor clearance at all? I’m running drop through and was interested in doing this but I need every mm I can get lmao

Yes it will decrease clearance i dont know how much but some math should figure it out. I forget which :joy:, it’s not much though like not more than a cm id say.

http://www.carbidedepot.com/formulas-trigright.asp

Any of you guys have bent hangers, it’s an issue for some. I know a guy looking for numbers for stronger hangers

Hi mate,

Thanks for this managed to fix my motors by tapping lightly with a socket on the bearings and now they actually spin without grinding!

2 Likes

that’s just a temp solution…it’ll be back after a few miles.

2 Likes

Yeah if it comes back gonna need retaining compound.

Got my kingpins today, cost me like $1 each. Problem solved and im less mald about it, still would be nice to have some warning about this beforehand. My med. rocket handles wayyy better. It SEEMS like you can use the shorter ones but the taper of it makes it so yo have to overtighten a lot. I’m still a bit confused but measuring again with the caliper it’s for sure more.

1 Like

Where did you get them?

Ottawa fastener supply, local hardware store that only does screws and stuff. Great place that has bailed me out of stupid shit like this a few times.

2 Likes

Ya 8 bought two sets of the TB DD75 Kv motors and both sets had one motor that was defective, hit the gas and i would get this crazy skipping, almost stripping sound and chattering feeling…not the motor being loose on the hanger (i think that us standard issue for every set of DD’s from TB… that is an easy fix) mine felt like the like the rotor was skipping past the stator or something like that…i really don’t know what the issue was I just know they got super hot super fast and the reaked of burning death electrical smell after 2 miles and one motor still would spin freely and the other one that smelled of electrical death I got much much harder to turn and certainly would not spin freely.

I ended up with two of the four motors still working all right.

I bought thousands of dollars worth of stuff from torque boards and and just about every shipment something was missing or incorrect I got kegel adapter rings with abec Drive pulleys in the same package they shorted me on sets of AT tires, I bought two batteries and paid for the upgrade to the 4 amp charger and I was sent one two amp charger and one 4 amp charger it just everything had a problem the stuff that works worked well and I will give Dexter credit for being responsive and after much emailing back and forth refunding my money for the stuff that didn’t get sent but I didn’t even try to deal with the motors being defective I just figured I would cut my losses and take my business elsewhere and since then I’ve been a much happier builder.

It always strikes me as time to move on when after you spend four or five thousand dollars with someone they refuse to speak to you on the telephone.

I put an order in for a Lacroix lone Star and had the owner of the company calling me 15 minutes after the my order was placed to go over everything and make sure I wasn’t purchasing something I didn’t need and offer advice on other things I should think about whole different ball game working with companies that will do everything in their power to make sure you get your money’s worth out of what you pay for with them. Good luck!

I also ended up taking the two motors that still worked and fitting them onto a 15-in mountain board truck hanger and installing it onto a double kingpin assembly and then I’ve got a set of direct drive 15-in wide double king pin motors that I love… Lots of filing involved and so far no bending of the axle but I’m guessing that’s just a matter of time LOL.

9 Likes