TorqueBoards Direct Drive Motor Kit

lol

3 Likes

Here’s my 2bit theory with these bearings: The press fit combined with how these are shipped with wheels pre attached; with no spacers behind the wheel. This makes it easy to cause more sideways pressure on the bearings. The nature of these bearings for whatever reason, lubrication machining causes the balls the shear some of the race edge(yellow dots) off then get caught in the rest of the balls causing the whole bearing to scrape and bind up. Or some other spot these metal shavings are coming from. Just a theory.

2 Likes

what warranty?

2 Likes

The one where you send it in and may/may not get one back

5 Likes

@torqueboards you’ve been active on the forums at least 3 times since I messaged you on the 28th and still haven’t responded to either of my emails. I understand you’re busy, but at least some indication that you’re looking into the issue or that you’ll get back to me would be much appreciated.

6 Likes

After hearing nothing from @torqueboards for weeks now, I took things into my own hands. I disassembled the motor with a vice and a hammer, pulled the big bearing with a bearing puller, and replaced it with one I found on eBay for $10. With everything reassembled, the noise is gone even after a 6 mile ride.

I expected far better support from a company that’s been around for this long and generally makes good quality parts, even if their site labels itself as “DIY Electric Skateboard”. Fortunately, the forums have proved to be a far better resource and I’d like to thank @jindra, @Kram720, and @wh4ck for your teardown pictures and insight.

14 Likes

Learn to fall and now this? WTF is wrong with companies nowadays? DIY doesn’t mean rebuild brand new drivetrains that are suppose to be plug and play. This is how companies go out of business. Glad you got it resolved yourself. Next dude might not be so lucky.

7 Likes

Dis someones tested the new Cloud Wheel Discovery with the TBDD Abec adapter?
Thanks!

Works fine with 105 i got but 2 of my wheels were slightly loose in the adapter so for all I know you could get 4 like that, but they fit.

1 Like

Hi, can you tell me the width of these TORQUEBOARDS DD trucks? Tip to tip and also just the hanger with the motors attached would be nice to know. Didn’t find that information anywhere.

I’m thinking about what DD to get for replacing the hub drive on my raptor 2. Maybe someone also has an advice in that regard. I’ve seen there are a couple other options around like boundmotor and onsra. Any opinions?

Thanks for your help

Boardnamics has some interesting geardrives coming out you should check that out. The TB hangers are 220mm without the axles but I wouldn’t recommend this setup unless you feel like spending 2 months dealing with issues and basically no support. The hangers are bending too. For what it’s worth they are amazing now but needed way too much work to sort. If you really want to put yourself through the wringer go right ahead

4 Likes

I never actually build a board myself but I think I would be able to. But No this sounds like to much pain. What made it so difficult exactly? I would have guessed it’s just some tweaking around in the focbox settings.

My thoughts went more in the direction if these hubs would be to wide for the raptor 2 deck.

Could check my post history, but basically gears were squealing out of the box, the wheels come attached but didn’t have 2 spacers behind the wheel causing binding in the bearings too. Axles unscrewed themselves and needed to be loctited. Big motor bearing was loose in the can for me causing clicking. I had to hammer the motor apart and loctite 660 the big bearing in place. Motors are loose on the hangers so I had to loctite my motors on there because I couldn’t deal with metal shims or the thermal tape fix, oherwise they click and cog like crazy. I weigh 160lbs and bent the hanger in a few hours noticeably with 100mm glow wheels. It still happens slowly with 110tb wheels, so we need a better hanger solution. Maybe I’m missing something.

I do believe they are a pretty unique experience and when working perfectly on a smooth road it’s surreal, for what that’s worth.

3 Likes

Well my current set of outwheels are still looking OK. So I have some time left to decide…

I thought the TORQUEBOARDS DD had been on the market for a few years and these kinds of problems should be sorted out. I guess DDs will always be more complicated and fiddly compared to gears or belts.

1 Like

Not sure how yours go, but I get overheating quickly then ESC cuts power. Way more noticeable in 2wd than 4wd. I’ve set the temp cut off start at 95 too.

Mine make all sorts of funny noises so need to pull them apart. But yes, they are super fun when no issues, especially in 4wd!!

Yeah mine are decently quick to heat up. It has gotten a lot better with a good bond with the hanger though with loctite or thermal paste but with the 90kv I get 80c and thermal throttle easily with aggressive riding.

@GittyShamer DD should be simpler especially for setup, but these have tolerance issues all over the place. I think the right design DD could be extremely reliable and not finicky

1 Like

Ditto to what @jindra said the DD market atm is dead the only working dds are the lower end chinese dds that most prebuilt companies sell just to make a quick buck from the drive type but puts no effort in trying to make a better,high quality reliable dd train with strong truck hangers and tb although it is the best its way to much of a garage project to even consider wasting your money and time on.

Maybe if we had a good motor vendor like Maytech or APS to supply use with good DD motors this drivetrain type would be in a much better state but as it stands its dead pretty much.

Just pick up a gear drive train and be happy,and its not hard to build a board and if you feel like your not up to the task then ask someone in your areas esk8 group who knows what to do to help you out. Dont let the mantra of “oh idk how to build a board” be the limiting factor in why you cant have the board of your dreams.

Me personally im swapping to bd DD then goin full gear drive and not looking back until we have a reliable Dd vendor to call home which probably wont happen but i hope it does since i love dd personally over any other drivetrain.

2 Likes

What’s bd DD? Just a typo?

1 Like

Have you had a look at onsra? They use a double hanger hit looks sleek.

1 Like

boundmotor? or maybe boardnamics