TorqueBoards Direct Drive Motor Kit

I agree It is bad design that the whole thing depends on a press fit not to shift sideways and bind up.

But Ill also say I’m confident in my fixes just so they will break sooner and we can get this over with :joy:

Really though once you battle harden the bearings and loctite every part together it should remove those biggest design flaws at least. The issue then becomes you can’t take it apart properly anymore. Bending hangers is a doozie. Idk I’ll keep updating as I get more km on this but I’m probably at around 8-900km now with what started as squealing bearings.

I wouldn’t recommend this to anyone though.

4 Likes

What causes motors to heat up more and more as these get used? Thankfully mine have held up great since release, but I find myself needing to take it easier and easier due to overheating the more they get used.

How is their freeroll? You have the extra spacers behind the wheel? My 90kv gets to 80c if I’m racing around on 110 pretty fast, but normal riding they are totally good. On 100mm wheels I find the heat issue is minimal unless you’re full throttle 60kmh all the time. The heat dissipation is better when you loctite the motors to the hangers but also terrible for maintenance if you have to take it apart.

It’s really easy to bind up the main motor bearings by the way its designed each different wheel/pulley needs a different spacing of speed washers on the axle behind the wheel.

1 Like

Unless your bearings are binding, very under lubricated or your motors are too loose to transfer heat to the axle, there shouldn’t be anything else. I mean unless your coils are doing some wierd shit shorting out.

Made a super high end diagram to clear this up:

2 Likes

Hello I’m very new to DIY and vesc programming I’ve had several prebuilt board and this is my first vesc and direct drive system. I’m having a loud noise in my motors when I set my motor current above 35A. I have 2 10s2p samsung 40t packs parallel connected fir 10s4p and using torque6 escs, everything runs fine if i set to 30A but above 35 I get that loud noise when accelerating I also set my batterycurrent to the same value,I apologize if I making a noob mistake I’m just getting into this world

1 Like

Can you make a video of the noise

1 Like

1 Like

That almost sounds like a bms cut out. What battery are you using? Do you know if its wired for discharge?

Also did you do motor detection?

I’m using 2x 10s2p 40T 21700 wired in parallel, I bought them from wowgo I’m not sure if they are or arent

I did with the vesc app under medium outrunner

Its a bms discharge battery, but I doubt it’s the battery cutout. Its probably has something to do with detection or settings

1 Like

Would it be different if I ran with the vesc tool on pc instead of the app? It only happens if I set motorcurrent Amps above 40 my battery is set to 30a. Any ideas what should do

These are two different settings, tbdd can take 80a easily. Maybe run the motor detection again and post the result?

Should I run as medium outrunner in the app

If that’s the 7xxg weight motor, then yea

Ok I’ll post results in a few minutes

they looks very normal to me. besides the cogging like sound, does the drive spin freely? or any hard resistance?