TorqueBoards Direct Drive Motor Kit

Got my 90kv motors. Thank you very much @torqueboards .

They look great.

3 Likes

I put around 150 miles on my replacement set of 75kv drives. A couple days ago I went for a ride and became stranded when I got the wobbles, lost power and one of the motors made a nasty sound. At first I suspected my Unity had blown a DRV chip, but Metr showed no faults and everything on the PCB looks fine. Then I noticed that one of the drives was acting like it had a partially shorted phase wire. I cut the heat shrink and disconnected the phase wires on that side and hand tested the motor. I am still feeling that magnetic resistance and am pretty sure that I have a short on the windings or somewhere else inside the can. What next steps should I take? I have never opened these up and am not sure if I have the necessary tools to do so. What do you recommend @torqueboards?

1 Like

You try swapping motors on escs see if the issue transfers. I’d also check the adapters and/or remove the motor and add some thermal tape if you haven’t already.

1 Like

Hey @torqueboards Just wondering if you have any direct drives in stock and just how long it takes for these to arrive. I live in Canada.

I’m hoping to possibly build a board and have it ready for April but I’ve read instances where people are waiting around 6 months.

Any info is greatly appreciated!

Hi Dex @torqueboards ,

Quick update: I moved across the country since discovering the issue with this board and will have a more thorough look now that I have access to all of my tools and spare parts.

I tried swapping the motors and the problem followed the motor. The bad motor also caused issues running motor detection.

I added thin thermal tape before the first use and it worked well to remove any play. I removed and re-installed the drives on the hanger a bunch of times, the issue is in the can. It feels like a shorted phase wire but I checked all the external phase wires and they are good.

Are you talking about the sensor cable adapters or the wheel adapters?

I took a long hard look at my sensor cables and they are solid. I tried setting up sensor-less in VESC tool and still had the same problem. Now that I have access to the bit for removing the wheel adapters I will check that out.

Next up, I plan to test a known, good set of motors on the Enertion USA era Unity, I want to rule that out. I will keep you posted and will take it to PM to figure out the best course of action. I miss riding this board. When the direct drives are working they are delightful.

2 Likes

@torqueboards

This is getting worse and I’ve been having this issue since new. Don’t want it to eventually lock up and throw me off.

Vid of sound

1 Like

Definitely sounds like something is loose in there.

How hard is it to remove the axle mounting hardware from the motor?

Curious could u do that epoxy stuff to dd drives like how u can with belt/gear motors to make sure nothing moves around even tho torqueboards dd is the only dd drives ive heard complaints about

TBDDs get alot of spotlight because they are pretty much the only DDs in existence :sweat_smile: phenomenal stuff when used correctly.

5 Likes

FTFY :smirk:. There be some eLofy DDs… that all them prebuilts use :eyes: baaaaaat they suck :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Yea maybe magnets’ loose…

Working with dexter on troubleshooting it but it’ll getting worse. I think this motor is shot…only 20 miles on it.

It rides great…good power and smooth. Except mine is loud as hell from one motor.

1 Like

when did you get these ? and what KV are they?

I am having issues with a set from the latest batch as well (if yours are from the latest). Sent them to dex on 11/12, still have not heard back :exploding_head:

what issue do you have? I got them 3 months ago.

75kv…XL version.

1 Like

Yup, my eLofty top out at 22.5 mph with 10s and 110s. :joy:

3 Likes

Thays why you gotta HV!

60kv on 155s unloaded at 20% charge lol

9 Likes

Wow. That’s within 1-2 mph of the official world record!

My 58kv set hated being on even just 12s for some reason.

2 Likes

I dont ever plan to go this fast lol, I leave the speed craze to our good penguin, its nice to have the headroom tho, and not have to max the system trying to go uphill at 35mph

3 Likes

:cry::cry::cry:

1 Like