TorqueBoards Direct Drive Motor Kit

Did you check all the connections?

Can you unplug the motor and turn it by hand, does it feel like it should? (make sure the bullets arent touching)

Meassure resistance between the phases.

Make sure the ESC is functional.

do the above and report back.
Bai

1 Like
  • I checked all connections. Removed enclosure when I got back, was hoping that was the case.
  • It does not spin as it should by hand, there is clear resistance. I unplugged the connections from the motor to the ESC, same result with resistance.
  • The ESC is functional
1 Like

sounds like a mechanical issue then.

Does it make a scrapy sound when you turn it?
If its not electrical/wiring I’d guess its a magnet or bearing

1 Like

switch the motors with the ESCs (do detection again) and see if the issue jumps to the other motor first, to eliminate the controller being the culprit.

Not really scrapy, just if you try to power it, it is crazy loud. Then if you try to manually turn it, there is a ton of resistance.

sounds like windings shorting :cold_face:

2 Likes

will do that now

I just did a detection and got this issue, will try switching them

yep, switched the ESC connections for the motors and still the same result with the left motor and detection failure with same reason :frowning:

Did you do the spin test?

1 Like

When you spin it by hand it’s clear there’s an issue relative to the other side. The right side spins freely with no resistance. The left side has resistance and almost feels like it’s grinding. It doesn’t sound like it’s grinding but when you spin it, it’s bumpy/resisty/has a feel of grinding.

1 Like

Sounds to me like it could be some windings shorted somehow. I overheated one of my motors doing a dumb experiment and it has the same symptoms, although not a gritty grind but electrical feeling grind. Were you running with sensors and thermal limits set in VESC tool and all thermals seem to read out fine?

If it’s a gritty grinding feeling, I wonder if a winding got snagged or ground down in the stator to the can somehow… :man_shrugging:

Yes, running with sensors and limits set, I set it up similar to my other direct drive board. Only on 1 motor it’s happening. Super annoying, it was my first real ride on them that I got <2 miles on. And I waited 2 months for them to arrive :upside_down_face:

Would any of these settings blow up a motor?

1 Like

Settings look fine.

1 Like

Have you tried running w/ and w/o sensors?

@torqueboards I did try, and no matter what I try it makes no difference, same result.

See this video as well, there is so much resistance (regardless of whether or not motors are hooked up to the ESC)

2 Likes

ya +1

@torqueboards one of my 90kv motors orders got shipped out but the other didn’t.

Any update?

1 Like

Check the weight of the package, did they get put together under the same shipping #?

Shipment weight is 20lbs & the other older order is listed as “unfulfilled” on the TorqueBoards website.

1 Like

There couuuuuld be two sets of motors in there :thinking:

Either way this is typical dex. Buckle up, it might take him awhile to get back to you 8)

1 Like