Revel at the "brand" new competitor in the direct drive Esk8 race!

My kit has done about 300km, and usually short trips, havnt don3 many trips from 100 to 25%

I see ur posts alot, so i try charge when i get first vibration warning, although i have gone to 2nd vibration a few times

I have never tried to disassemble a revel kit motor. I don’t know what the bearing specifications are. To exhaust all other possibilities before attempting disassembly or replacement, Here are a few things that you could try. These are guesses and some could have negative consequences.

1. This one is pretty safe. three drops of speed cream is alot less than I usually use. Try 10. make sure that the motor is vertical and that you are dropping the oil vertically on to the bearing race. Use the remote to spin the wheels at low speed – not fast enough to spray the oil out of the cavity. Let the oil soak for an hour before you tip the motors horizontal. You might as well do two bearings at a time, then flp the skateboard 180 degrees and do the other sides.

2. If that does nto help, try the same thing with synthetic motor oil. I don’t have any reason to believe it will definitely work better than speed cream. However, I use synthetic motor oil sometimes and it seems to work atleast as effectively as speed cream – posssibly better. I use royal purple 5w 30. I’m sure any would give the same result.

3. This one is a little risky. Ordinarily, penetrating oil and WD 40 should not be used on bearings and motors because they contain alcohol and solvents. But if your bearings are clogged wiht rust, this may be the only hope to avoid motor replacement or an attempt at bearing replacement. If you skim this thread, you will see one person has posted a video of washing a thin oil through the motors. It coudl be a bad Idea. It could be a great idea for rusty bearings. Or it could do other damage to the motor internals. Opinions vary.

1 Like

Here are a few relevant posts on motor bearing cleaning without disassembly…

1 Like

This may help for anyone who wants to lubricate the motor bearings without washing road grit into the bearings:

Hey guys! Took a break from esk8 and wanted to chime in. Any cool new recent developments at revel? :slight_smile:

Hey Joe:
It looks like you purchased TB DD motors. Whats the plan? Complete DIY or Revel Kit Transplant?

Hey! Very excited for this project…basically a next level Revel.

Psychotiller 42" Llama Deck+Enclosure
115mm Onsra Wheels
4WD TorqueBoards 90kv Direct Drive Motors
ChiBatterySystems 12S8P P42A Battery
Dual Unity’s
Firefly Remote

Should have 1451wh, be able to conduct Endurance Rides without issue & more power than I would ever need for speed & hill climbing.

Just waiting on the wheels & deck/enclosure

3 Likes

@Joeeskate
So are you using any revel kit parts? Trucks? Do they fit? What trucks are you using if you did not order them from TB? You said the motors arrived. Maybe you actually got the entire Drive assembly.

@Joeeskate, Did you ever notice these wheels:

1 Like

No, there are no Revel parts being used. The DD motors come already mounted on trucks.

Was going to use the Boosted 105mm wheels but as you can see the clearance is a bit iffy with them.

I saw those wheels! Very interesting design. I went with the Onsra ones cause one of my friends has them & they ride really nicely…plus they’re 5mm larger which will probably be good given the size of the 90kv motors.

Aha. I call that a drive assembly. Cool project. Keep us posted.

You went wiht 90 KV for more torque on larger wheels? Is that correct? or is 90 KV less torque and higher top speed?

1 Like

Less torque but higher top speed…with 4WD though, the torque will be more than sufficient.

4WD should keep all the motors a lot healthier in general. Not as much strain as a 2WD setup.

i’m thinking the same wheels for my TBDD. do you like them over the TB110?

Yes, I don’t really like the urethane formula of the TB 110mm wheels. In my experience, they tend to harden up very quickly in the winter.

If you’re looking for a straight up urethane skate wheel, I would recommend the ABEC 107’s. They’ve always been very high quality. I’ve run them for years.

Hey guys,

Thx for advice pkasanda, revel have confirmed that its a rusty bearing, but fortunately the rust hasnt affected the movement of the motor so bith spin the same atm.

I will tey to use more lube and see if that fixes the issue. I will tey ur other steps too, i appreciate the advice

2 Likes

Has anyone had the issue where your board randomly accelerates when you are trying to pull back the throttle on the remote to brake? I almost got bucked off my board from this.

I’ve never experienced anything like that. However, the few times that I have tried to operate the remote with gloves, I have found that switching from throttle to brake has on a few occasions sent me off balance with a sudden unexpected jolt of acceleration. For me, the extra 1/8th inch of leather at the tip of my thumb catches the throttle and gives it a bump just at the moment that i’m trying to switch my thumb to reverse mode. It’s they type of problem that one might expect at this time of year when the cold weather hits.

The solution to this particular problem is to not wear a glove on the remote hand. I wear a coat with sleves long enough to act as a glove. Another solution is snowmobile mitts that are large enough to operate the remote inside of.

Or there is this:

Yeah, mine has a mind of its own. For the record it is NOT in cruise control.

I have a vague recollection of syncing a remote while the throttle was not in the neutral position. I think the result was a bit like what I see in your video.

So try resyncing the remote again with your hands clear of the throttle knob.

If that does not work…

Can you take a profile picture of the remote. Is there a gap between the remote and the bottom of the throttle knob? Could you have gotten dirt into the track.

If you don’t have clearance between the remote and the bottom of the knob then remove the throttle knob to see if it solves the problem. Otherwise you need to disassemble and clean or just order a new remote.

1 Like

I cut out the last bit of the video because the file size would have been too large to upload, but it does go back down to 0mph after this without me touching anything on the remote. I also had it in speed mode 4 and it would go all the way up to 28mph without me touching anything on the remote. This also doesn’t happen consistently. So I don’t think it is an issue with there being dirt in the remote. I started having issues over 6 months ago when the board randomly lock in at 5mph or less automatically without turning on cruise control. This wasn’t a big deal at the time since I could still brake and accelate normally. When I started having the issues with random acceleration, I thought it was due to the battery. I just got a new battery and the issue seems to be even worse now. If i was anticipating on buying a new remote I would have just sad to hell with the revel kit and not have bought the battery.

Anyways, I found this: https://electric-skateboard.builders/t/odd-accelerating-braking/61688/7

Maybe I just need to put a ferrite ring on the receiver wire to block out electromagnetic interference noise from the esc? Maybe I should try moving the receiver wire too? Everything is pretty snug in there so I’m not sure if that would work. I also don’t know which one is the receiving wire.

1 Like