thinking about going lipo

Im using 4x3s zippy lipos 5800mAh since 2016. They became slightly “puffed” 2 years ago and i tighten them with aluminum plates. Im using them in single 192kv motor with top speed around 50km/a and 45a current. I will not use then in current season as im afraid now. Las year they was not getting hot during discharge. I never stored them fully charged/discarded and always used balance charging. I don’t know how sag looks like, newer experienced it. Torque is always the same. Im planning to switch to 40T 21700 in 2p config. This will cause sag, but i m tired of charging each pack separately(BMS for lipos is nor reliable for me). Maximum voltage they can store right now is ~4.18. Never discharged them more than 3.6v. Always tried to not store them at 4.20, i preferred 4.15. Not sure about range ~ 15-20km

1 Like

Any details how you compressed your lipo’s with the aluminum plates?

2 Likes

I had the same dilemma. Lipos or Li-ions (I was considering vtc5a or p42a)
my setup is dual 6374, 192kv (waiting for new 149kv to change)
~215 pneumatic (little flat at 1.5bar, I like it smooth :sunglasses: )
16t/72t

and since i got 2x lipo from other build I finally choose to go with additional 2x8ah 5s lipo

with this charger and pararell board to chagre it faster. (for 1c charging (only need to do it twice) i set 16a when both plugged) and only to 4.150v/cell

Barely feel the voltage sag (enough that it started to be a problem lol, cause I dont feel when it start cutoff at 36v)

The old ones (after 1kkm) are good enough to be almost the same as the new ones. They not even warm after ride in woods (but a little puffed cause i wet them once :man_facepalming: )
Average 16wh/km
~18km range with 8ah (36v/32v cutoff)

2 Likes

I got those. Seem the ideal shape for a deck. Or I have the 2s and 3s version and slimmer. Hell of a lot easier plugging those in series than dealing with an ion pack of maybe 48 cells.

3 Likes

Wow, now I’m leaning more towards lipos again. I don’t know about the BMS, I would have to get a wiring diagram. It looks pretty confusing. The series connections are pretty straightforward. If I wanted to add one or more in parallel that would make my head spin.

So I should look for around 30c? I’ve had people tell me to shoot for 60c+ now I’m confused😕 I know what the C ratings mean but which one’s better than which?

I would try to avoid paralleling. Get the Amp hours you need and go in series. If I had to parallel, I would just use 2 BMSs. Thay way, every cell has over discharge protection.

C rating without capacity is meaningless. 30c 2ah is not enough but 30c 10ah is enough for most situations.

How big is your enclosure?

2 Likes

You could balance externally. AOKoda CellMeter 8 150W Discharge Module Set with Lipo Battery Balancer Sale | USA Mobile - Banggood Mobile

1 Like

30C for 8ah is much more than I need, even divided by 3 its about 80Amps cont.

maybe this will help

1 Like

This is a pretty good deal. Ovonic have a decent reputation.

2x series for 575wh and discharge for days

$200 + $40 for a BT bms and just grab a cheapo 2a charger for now. $250 dollars and this will shit on any 600 dollar li-ion pack

4 Likes

My enclosure is too big so I’ll be getting a different one anyway.

What sort of range would I be getting? I have 2×6374 190kV, 15t 72t, 200mm tires and weigh 210lbs. I ride about 60% town and 40% some pretty rough hills.

What is your wh/miles now? just extrapolate from that lol

I really have no idea😋

You have a running board now? or access to a board?

No, my battery is toast. And nobody else in my area rides😩

I’m guessing about 20ish? Since @hypocist is getting about 16 and his board is really similar to mine.

1 Like

I would imagine so. No way to tell until you try it.

What were you getting on your old battery? What were the specs ?

My old pack was a 10s5p with 35e cells and I was getting about 12ish miles in stop and go city riding.

So 630wh but 35e are really saggy cells in a 5p. I would expect a decent 500-550wh lipo to match that range.

1 Like