thinking about going lipo

Hey guys! I’m thinking about going lipo but am stuck on what to get. I’m looking for decent range with lots of power for max torque. I mainly ride in town but sometimes take it to some pretty gnarly hills. My current setup is:
Motor: 6374, 190kv
Tires: 200mm pneumatic
Gearing: 15t motor, 72t wheel

2 Likes

@kevingraehl @b264 @ahrav @MoeStooge @DEEIF
These are just a few that I know who have used lipos they might help

2 Likes

Lipos don’t last very long for me.

11 Likes

Is it because how hard you ride or just bad luck?

2 Likes

So basically what i have.

Been using 2x 12Ah 6s lipos in series since 2019

I’m getting between 20-25km i think (or 28km? I’m really not sure right now).

10s4p 30q gives me less range and more sag.

5 Likes

I was looking at these after I was told 12c just wasn’t going to cut it.

1 Like

how is your power? Do you get good amounts of torque?

1 Like

For my needs yes. It’s been a few months since i last took them out so I don’t really remember how it was.

I do know that thes can push some amps.

This was a very steep hill

2 Likes

Nice :+1: So for consumption I’m confused on the 16.7 Wh/km and the 70 Wh/km

1 Like

16.7Wh/km is average, 70Wh/km was right at that moment.

3 Likes

Ah, ok it’s making sense now. when I put the 70 Wh/km into the calculator it was giving me like 4.7 miles or 7.6km of range :rofl:

1 Like

I used turnigy lipos in my first build, they performed well but puffed and lost range/life quickly. I got about 3/4 of a summer out of them.

6 Likes

How hard did you push them? what were the specs on them?

1 Like

damn that’s rellly not good.

2 Likes

They were the blue Turnigy 5s 5000mAh packs, rated to around 20-30C. It was in a 10s2p config so 10Ah. Probably 120 total battery amps on the VESC configs. I got maybe 50 cycles but ran them down to ~3V/cell so that’s probably why…

2 Likes

What are y’alls thoughts on these? would I be better off with these or the ones I posted earlier?

1 Like

I’d rather go with 2 large ones in series than have to deal with 4 or more in series and parallel. Everything gets more complicated with more batteries, from the number of connectors (ie. potential failure points) to wire spaghetti to charging (especially balancing).

2 Likes

I couldn’t agree with you more.

You can also make a harness for a BMS if you would like to charge that way too. That’s what I did with mine. Much more simple than taking them all apart to charge.

6 Likes

what about these hardcase ones?

either 2 or 3 packs in series, seem pretty alright?

2 Likes