The Outlaw Star - "what has come” 4WD | 1:42 3DS | 6380/4 | Flux | 12S9P 50E

I’m going away for the weekend, but if I get her going by Thursday or tmw I’m 100% down. I haven’t gotten a good long ride in since our last one. I can’t go crazy with the settings since its a 50E battery, but I’m hoping with the additional two motors (a total of 176mm x 63mm more motor) it’ll at least kick like my 12s Proto.

i need a 12s proto…project for next year.

1 Like

you better keep that thing!! haha

So I got it kinda running then tragedy struck. Not really sure what happened but I’ve managed to break a brand new APS motor pretty bad. I got it kind of running over can on old FW, not smooth the slave esc would randomly go backwards, then when I updated to fw5 I got it all detected and tried to start calibration, while spinning the motors post calibration I heard this horrible sound and the motor stopped turning. After taking it apart I find this.

Sucks.

Going to try the tq boards 6380’s up front as a next step, and read up some more on 4wd on Unity’s w/fw5

3 Likes

That blows. Aps motors same as old flipsky and saites suck No magnet retention seems like. Best thing to do is buy some cheap insurance and battle harden your cans to avoid stuff like that from happening

3 Likes

That’s the worst part I was going to do this, I just wanted to get this thing running. What I’m trying to figure out now is what I did wrong. I’m away till tmw tho so it’s just been eating at me for like 24 hrs haha

2 Likes

Bahaha. You’ll live with that shit for the rest of your love brother. You could’ve saved that motors instead you decided to do things the wrong way :rofl:
BUT. It can still be fixed. You’ll be aight

Or did APS do things wrong because they don’t battle harden from the factory? I’ve gotten a few replacement cans from APS so I think they’ll replace this one too.

It’s just weird that multiple magnets failed at once when I was just spinning the motors after detection. Never had a failure like this one on the street with fw5 let alone the bench with brand new motors.

2 Likes

Ok first full shakedown run tonight with 4wd. It was awesome, initial thoughts on 4wd:

-tq is obviously there
-breaking is pretty sick you really notice feel of 4wd
-rolling resistance is up, down a steep hill I would usually free roll at 20mph down I was at 15 while free rolling tonight
-heat IS down didn’t get my ESC temp but motor was 107F after 6 miles which has got to be a new record, for that test run loop I went on at least
-with the weight of the board more evenly distributed and probably most notably the motors being over the front hanger seem to help stabilize or settle this thing after bumps.
-Bumps are a little different upon initial Impact but like I said above it settles a lil quicker, I was running 40PSI I want to try 30
-it’s insanely fun to be surrounded by 4 motors screaming through straight cuts

Le pics: (forgive the potato quality of the night photos)

I got these off AliExpress I think works as a rear footstop and awesome break light

Now that this thing has evolved into something a little different I’m giving her a proper name The Outlaw Star!

image image

Watching a lot of anime due to quarantine ok

15 Likes

4wd is where it’s at :call_me_hand:
:penguin:

So much more fun. If you can fit a big enough pack in there it’s unbeatable.

2 Likes

Hell yeah shout out to you and everyone who helped with my 4wd questions @glyphiks @CiscoV @VANFORMER @Skyart

7 Likes

Holy cow. Now that’s a board right there.
How’s she riding?

3 Likes

Tonight was my first time putting some actual miles/hardish riding. Going to play with PSI but overall it’s just sweet. I’m looking forward to doing a really long ride at some point this week.

You gotta throw your ass into it even more than before to move this thing around the road hahaha

3 Likes

Dude I love the theme name and 4wd :star_struck:

2 Likes

Cut that in half :rofl:
Jk. Yeah man. Gotta love 4wd builds. Sadly for me I’ve never had the opportunity to step on a big big board with 4 motors. Bet she feels nice.

2 Likes

Thanks man! :pray:t2:

Na man the wizards tell me 4wd is more efficient if not the same efficiency :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: idk all I know is I should still get at least 45 … hopefully

If your ever on the beast coast your welcome to go for a spin

2 Likes

:rofl::call_me_hand:

1 Like

Haha. Yes. From personal experience I can tell you the difference In consumption will be about 4-6wh/m more compared to 2wd with a lot more power and sickass braking haha

3 Likes

2 Likes

Me and my 9year old girl have been watching this a lot lately :rofl:

1 Like