The battery builders club

D140 or D823?

Yes in theory, but since you’re going to be running the cells right up against their maximum discharge rating, you should expect quite a bit of voltage droop. If you’ve got the cells and the space, I’d say go 4p just for that extra headroom. 30A total isn’t really a lot, so you’re going to have a fairly low powered build compared to the people who’ve got 30Q cells and can pull 60A at 3p or 80A at 4p.

tldr it will work, but it’s not ideal.

2 Likes

What gauge wire should I get for my series connections? Will 2x 12 do the trick? It’s a 12s4p 21700.

3 Likes

Been asking a lot of questions lately but here’s another one: I’m making a 12s4p flat pack but I didn’t buy the ladder type nickel, only the single strips. The batteries will be end to end (pos to neg) and I figured a fold over would be perfect for this. Now that I’ve been warned away from foldover, how should I do these series connections?

I have seen where you fold the nickel to the sides of the cells, but that seems a bit much to with single nickel strips

It can be done. It’s certainly easier to do with the extra wide (25mm) nickel so you only have to use a single piece on each end, but you can get the same result with thinner strips. It’s just going to take about four times as many welds.

If you’ve got the room for it, you might look into a set of busbar PCBs that you can attach your cells to, then solder your series connections to those. Something like these:

You can go back and look at some of @ZachTetra’s packs. He makes good use of the folded-nickel method.

5 Likes

Yeah, the big nickel folded over definitely looks like the best way to do it. I don’t know how crazy I am about making my own ladder style with single strips, seems like a ton of work and a lot of nickel to nickel welding. If that’s the best way though I might have to

The big strips are so much nicer, it makes everything better. To assemble it’s less prep time for making the sections, less time for welds because less welds, and generally easier because there is just 1 big piece you can magnet down until you have the rack welds…doing 20 small pieces per series/parallel section is awful

6 Likes

Like these?:

1 Like

Also uh, if anyone is trying to charge their p pack I would not do it with these chargers:

Looking back it would’ve made more sense to just buy a power supply and charge it at something more than less than an amp :confused:
10 hours in and it’s still not done (from 3.46)

Yup, like those.

Starting over. 12s4p. Ripped apart the other one. Blew the flipsky 4.12. Now got.another unity. Tje cells.on original test at 3.2 to 4.1. All off balance. Using these all test between 4.13 and 4.15. 80% 4.14

5 Likes

I think this is as solid and cozy as a 12s6p 30Q will ever be

9 Likes

Fresh from China.
Supposed 0.2 x 30mm.

Seems really stiff compared to some other 0.2 stuff I have.

In the salt it goes…

https://m.aliexpress.com/item/32864017472.html?trace=wwwdetail2mobilesitedetail&spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.49ba4c4dtFmmvE

7 Likes

@whaddys Thanks to you bro, my battery can finally charge!

Its alive!

Now i shall wait for the heat tape and make this a 10s10p pack

3 Likes

What happened?

The old bms got damaged during my rides and wouldn’t charge the battrry anymore.

Hell yeah bro! Please clean up those wires tho they r giving me serious anxiety :joy:

Organize them so they cross each other minimally, and if they do cross, put fishpaper between that spot. The reason is because the battery undergoes thousands of tiny vibrations every minute you ride, and those vibrations will cause the silicone around those wires to rub and eventually could wear through and cause the wires to short. You want to prevent that from happening ANYWHERE on your pack

3 Likes

Of course I’ll make it look clean. I just need the heat tape. Gonna set it aside until then.

1 Like

I got a ton of 25mm * 0.2mm and 30mm * 0.2mm that just arrived, doing salt water test rn. HMU if you need any, I’m redestributing by the decigram

7 Likes