The battery builders club

Thx!

My kweld can weld .25 and .30 but anything thicker than .20 builds more heat than Iā€™m comfortable with at the weld. Plus, have to go very slowly to let everything cool off. .30 itā€™s kind of crazy how hot it gets. Iā€™m on 1 x 3s 6000mah red graphene. Stronger power source might do a bit better.

2 Likes

Yea Iā€™ve only tested .15 so far, just got some .2 delivered.
.15 was at minimal settings, but yea Iā€™m assuming .3 will push the machine.
Iā€™ve got two 3s Turnigy 60-120C 5000mah in parallel

1 Like

Iā€™m planning a 12s4p and 12s3p 30Q pack for my eMTB, I what to have the 3p one removable so I can transfer it to my other build on occasionā€¦should be just possible if I put the BMS and wires on the top right? Iā€™ll have a splitter on the charge port and discharge port through the enclosure so I can charge both then connect the second to the ESCs

I think maybe I can slot the BMS at the end, itā€™s pretty thinā€¦12mm?

1 Like

Why not BMS above? These cases are usually much taller than needed for cells even with foam securing on all sides.

True true, think I can fit 2 BMSs and all the wiring on the top? Itā€™s another 20mm to the top but I need to account for the copper bus bars and nickel on either side of the cell

You shouldnā€™t need bus bars if your cells are that orientation. Youā€™ll have a series connection between each cell with the parallel connections.

1 Like

Donā€™t mind me, just archiving @davdBannerā€™s Bestech HCX-D596 BMS wiring instructions from the old forum.

Steps for how to connect the PCM with cells in order:

1. Connect Packā€™s negative with B-;
  2. Connect cell 1 with B1;
  3. Connect cell 2 with B2;
  4. Repeat for 3 - 9ā€¦
  5. Connect cell 10 with B10; Then measure the cellā€™s voltage in order to see if the voltage is progressive increase. If yes, you can plug the connector to the PCM in order. Also if the connector and wires is not matched, please donā€™t plug, or the PCM will be damaged.
  6. Connect Packā€™s positive with B10
  7. Connect Loadā€™s negative with P-
  8. Connect Chargerā€™s negative with C-
  9. Connect Loadā€™s positive with B10
  10. Connect Chargerā€™s positive with B10
5 Likes

What Iā€™m interested in is if itā€™s safe to plug the balance lead connector in at once, or if I should take care to individually connect the wires one by one. Correct order in both cases, just wondering if something can get damaged if, say, the last balance connector got connected a split second before the first or something.

1 Like

What do yall think? I doubled up on the nickel but didnā€™t get a pic of that.

8 Likes

My only concern is possible friction damage from the zip ties

Yeah I didnā€™t pull on them hard. Just enough to keep it together. Should be fine tho. 22GA balance wire shouldnt warm up at all.

1 Like

Why not use shrink wrap for wires? Iā€™ve taken tubes and cut 5mm lengths for all by balance leads instead of zip ties, super neat if you plan them right

Thatā€™s conter intuitive, no? If you cut apart a cars wiring harness every zip tie is drawn as tight as possible. I believe the operating principal is, you canā€™t have friction wear if you canā€™t have any movement. Build in slight slack if needed for flex and sinch them down.

Itā€™s tight ish . Iā€™m sure I can pull it one more notch but that will probably squish the wires together too much. Kinda afraid they will fuse together but itā€™s also not gona be hot from 50mA balance current

1 Like

i was advised not to weld nickel to the PCBā€¦
YMMV

1 Like

Whyā€™s that? I also solder bridged the nickel to the pcb pads right under the braid.

@Winfly, see my earlier post. I have seen welded PCBā€™s before, but the soldering is much stronger
this thread is very long

First and last time I did a spot weld on a pcb copper trace it just blasted shit through the air and the pcb was for the ass.
Even with lower settings I wouldnā€™t want to spot weld onto a pcb anymore.
Just soldered the nickel on the copper trace.
Easy and solid.

2 Likes

I do bothā€¦ I weld them 1-2times depends how wide the nickel is and then I solder them. If you know your own spotwelder a bit you can set it on the perfect current :slight_smile:

2 Likes