The battery builders club

I slid some adhesive fish paper in there. What do y’all think? Will the folder nickel cause the same problem? I swore I bought 21700 specific isolator rings…

4 Likes

So I have been recording the voltages of my suspicious cells and it turns out that I’ve had at most 0.002v self discharge over the past 3 days. Most cells have only self discharged around 0-0.001v. It’s probably so little that my multimeter can’t accurately measure it. I’ll continue the test probably until I get my NESE hardware but I think so far they are good :+1:

1 Like

Probably good. I can throw some 21700 rings in with trucks. I have mailing label printed and box ready fur AM.

2 Likes

That’s well within the range of the BMS. Sounds fine

Hi guys I’m new here but been building batteries for a long time at savemybattery.fr
I find nickel is too resistive for the power we requiere on some batteries.
Do you guys have some advice on making packs using copper spot weld ?
I have a few spot welders, ranging from suncko to big industrial ones.
considering buying tungsten electrodes and .1mm copper to give a try.

I use boss spot welder for copper.

1 Like

I read your thread and watched your youtube demo ! looks great :slight_smile:
What electrodes are you using ?

1 Like

Custom mostly. I have a sunkko as well

okay, I also have a boss spot.
what would be your advice on making my own electrodes ? ( if you don’t mind sharing your tips, could be usefull to others ! )
I am guessing tungsten and 60 degres angle ?

That’s really nice of you dude, but don’t bother. I already ordered some haha.

1 Like

i tested tungsten with no success. Copper tips are good enough.
All the info is at the sphere https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=89076
5 Likes

@Arzamenable I was just notified by Battery clearing house that the HG2 cells they were selling may be counterfeit and they are offering full or partial refunds.

5 Likes

spot welding requires resistance. Thats why copper becomes more challenging to weld.

Nickel can definitely handle the currents, especially 0.2 and 0.3 thickness and the proper width strip. Layered nickel is worse than properly sized. We also have the ability to use stranded copper wire, copper weave strip and bus bars for series connections where most of the current exists

1 Like

What a bummer.

1 Like

Did you ever do a capacity test on your HG2’s?

2 Likes

No, damnit. I was relaxing.

gets up irritated, to burn some cells in the garage

9 Likes

If you start off with high-quality balanced cells, your BMS is probably doing nothing at all.
Had a board with no BMS,… checked regularly every few months and was perfectly balanced.

1 Like

What does everyone use to charge single P groups? I have a handful of 21700s I’m bringing up to 4.1V from 3.6 wired in parallel and it’s taking forever as I’m spreading my 1amp 18650 charger across 15 cells, 60AH. My 18650 charger is a dual tray 1 amp I currently have jumper wired to charge the cells

I have a 24V power supply for a 3D printer lying around I could potentially lower the voltage on. Would that work? I have to see how low I can set it and maybe use a buck converter. Then I guess I’d have to control amps so that probably won’t work
I’ve also got a handful of 2.1 amp 5V Apple chargers and while they will provide charge, the shutdown max voltage is too high so they’d have to be monitored closely

Pics to grab your attention and show off my Jerry rigged setup

2 Likes

I have a janky setup with some cables connected into a balance plug, as well as some of the TP4068? boards that charge 1s lipos

My hobby charger can whack a single p group with 6 amps or more. Here’s a pic at the tail end of a charge, tapered down to 2 amps

2 Likes