The battery builders club

How much variation is ok between cells when hooking up Daly bms,

That’s how i do it. Definitely the best way i have found for braid.
But in general braid is pretty lame. I don’t like it for joints that will see any flex, it’s not fit for that purpose IMO.

2 Likes

I’m no expert. but I would think. almost any. given that I’ve seen screwed up batteries with wildly varying pgroup levels.

1 Like

Hi relatively new to batteries, what are some good affordable spot welders that are deemed safe by the community

Malectrics. Go cheaper and it gets a lot worse.

Only 2 are recommended most of the time (Kweld or Malectrics) but if you say affordable because you want to save money then you’re barking up the wrong tree. Compare them 2 depends on what you want kweld seems to be better quality and gives more consistent results but others will argue thay prefer Malectrics. People who build mutiple battrys seem to go for kweld or larger more industrial machines. But it cheeper to buy a battry unless you building 1/2 a dozen or more.

2 Likes

Whipped up a little 12s2p yesterday and it’s draining by about 0.2W the whole time, any ideas? It’s been staying balanced so I don’t think it’s a particular cell

Running charge and balance only LLT BMS, battery is in a Meepo V3 enclosure (connected to charge port directly so no charge feedback because 12s and a tap off cells 1 and 11 for battery voltage display)

When I say affordable I meant something that wasn’t at an industrial level. But I’ll make sure to check those two out

1 Like

Hey everyone. I’m looking to buy some .2 x 30mm nickel strip to build a 21700 battery build. Any idea if there is somewhere to buy it within the US, or is my best option something from China like this Link, and hope it’s pure?

1 Like

I can sell you some 0.15x30 if that is sufficient for your needs. I have used it on many batteries now

1 Like

You could also go w lazer cut from duck or mboards. This is my preferred method presently…

@ShutterShock stock will also def be more than sufficient for your build. 0.15 welds better also so less likely that welds will fail over time.

4 Likes

Ya depends on what pack orientation is being built. My stuff is amazing for bricks and SS but for DS, precut can definitely save some time

2 Likes

Thanks for the replies. I’m definitely tempted to buy your stuff. Looks like a good option, but I was thinking about .2mm stuff at first. I’m sure it would be nice to weld with though. Any idea how many amps it could carry with a 6p configuration?

1 Like

Enough for the cells we use today imo

Unless you’re doing a super edge case p45b pack, then you might have to stack it.

1 Like

Yea you’re probably right. I’m not sure my cells will exactly be a powerhouse either. Thanks, I’ll order your stuff :+1:

1 Like

I am using the ltt Bluetooth smart bms with a lot of my packs, but I wanted to have more data.
These are pictures of my NUC (can also be a PI) running HomeAssistant. I am using a plugin that can check ble BMS for you. This way I have a history graph of every number and can check the batteries when I’m not even at home + send me alarms if something is not right.

If someone would like a quick tutorial on how to set this up I can always write one :ok_hand:

I didn’t put much effort in the UI, but you can make it a lot less bloated, I just threw every data point in there…

4 Likes

That’s is cool asf. I would love a tutorial.

3 Likes

This is very unimpressive I know. I just want to be part of the battery building gang! First one underway :partying_face:

@glyphiks sent me a tonne of stuff to get started so thank you muchly!!! These little jigs were part of the care package and make things way easier :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Half the cells came from a builder over East. Thanks @Kaydo for a great price and some already grouped. I’ve tested all cell voltages and all good to go between 3.49-3.51V.

Hoping to try my first K-weld welds tmw night using a car battery to power it. Very nervous :sweat_smile:

6 Likes

Start the time low and work your way up, it’s fun and kind of relaxing. Did you already buy the car battery? Make sure to pay attention to amp output. I ended up needing an rRV size battery for .2mm nickel

1 Like

Thanks. It came out of my Mrs car a while back. She thought it was toast and got it replaced but it wasn’t. I charged it up a while back and it’s still holding charge fine. It’s probably a tad too small coming out of a Hyandai ix35 but only just. I’m hoping it’ll do the trick.

Can I be charging the car battery at the same time I use the K-Weld do you know?

1 Like