The battery builders club

Board and battery are built and he’s riding it around. Let’s play the fire lottery!

3 Likes

That’s kinda rude

Did you see those cell voltages?

Jk they’re capacities (but that’s also bad) I think that would be worse than voltages, either way, I wouldn’t use those cells

Any time you use reclaimed its a fire lottery but if done right it works just fine

1 Like

Yeah, hopefully things balance for him

Agreed. By the time you’re down to 2/3 capacity (like those cells) you’re probably below 1/2 of the run time (energy).

1 Like

Just curious, why?

What for? The LLT is more than enough to keep the cells balanced. Nobody knows how they would behave together, because it’s a stupid idea. If you have a really out of balance pack just use the balancer board first and then switch to the LLT. Or just leave it for a week on the LLT.

1 Like

Hey, what kind of nickel strips are you guys using that are wide enough to fold over? Most of the ones ive seen are way too narrow for that

1 Like

25mm wide for single stack 18650, 30mm wide for single stack 21700, 45mm for double stack 18650, 50 for ds 21700

1 Like

Where are you purchasing 50mm from? It seems like a pita to find

1 Like

Lots of stuff has a higher energy density than TNT, it’s not immediately obvious but what makes TNT special isn’t actually total energy at all. It’s how quickly it can release it, ie the instantaneous power. Gasoline is several times higher than TNT in energy density, and is plenty fast at releasing it, but not in the same league as a proper explosive

2 Likes

Alibaba/aliexpress. They cut nickel to whatever size you want. There are some people in the US too, but they were running out when I was buying some last week

1 Like

That’s because there is no oxygen supply in gasoline. If there were, you could make it explode. That’s the exact method used for many IEDs main components, diesel and fertilizers.

1 Like

Well the LLT doesn’t do active balance right? I wanted to add active balancing to keep things forcefully balanced.

For the small differences that occur during a normal charge cycle that really doesn’t matter.

You’re gonna get me put on a list if I spend the afternoon googling how IEDs are assembled

1 Like

You can force it to active balance. Set the balance Delta to like 0.001v and the start balancing voltage at 3, then disable charge balancing.

1 Like

Why disable charge balancing? I’ve noticed it only balances (bleeds off high groups) while plugged into the charger.

That is what “charge balancing” means. Th LLT smart BMS’s also have the option to “static balance” which does not need the charger plugged in to do.

2 Likes