The battery builders club

Not a great idea, it will be more of a pain to construct, and you will also need to have parallel connections between each pair of cells unless you want them to drift over time.
Much better to make twelve 2p units and then connect them all in series.

3 Likes

Ah ok I’ll try the 2p set up seems more convenient. Does anyone make a box what doesn’t need spot welding yet?

2 Likes

i take no credit. The photos i posted are from @JoeyZ5

3 Likes

Look up NESE in the search bar

3 Likes

That’s interesting but no balancing connectors.

1 Like

Any lowering of the current draw = less sag. 20A is the absolute highest I would run that pack. 12A would be better.

Whether going to 20A makes a noticeable difference in your range I can’t predict. Try it. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Cheapest cell for high discharge?

??? If it has series connections, it has balance connections.

2 Likes

That question is unanswerable.
We don’t know what high discharge means for you. Are you willing to have lower performance for lower cost? What size cell? Would you give up max power for more range?

If you just want a recommendation, the details be damned, buy Molicel P42A’s.

6 Likes

Hmm over 20A discharge till flat 18650/2100 size 5000mha?

And my other two questions weren’t worth answering? :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Added

Lol your username does describe you accurately.

There is no 5000mah 18650

There also happens to be no 20a 5000mah 21700

Two big standards here are Molicell P26a (2600 mah) 18650 (20a?)
Molicell P42a (4200 mah) 21700 (25-30a)

2 Likes

Okay, so you aren’t going to answer my questions. :joy:

There are no 5000mAh round cells rated over 15A and are really more like 10A cell. And they are 21700’s. You can run the 21700 Molicel P42A at a solid 25A fairly efficiently. Try it.

3 Likes

Yep.

Hmm so there are 5000mah cells? 10a might be able to pull it off with gearing.

10a is still pushing those cells close to their limit. How many P groups are you wanting

1 Like

12s3p if I’m going with 10a cells. 6-1 gearing 23mph tops single drive 115mm wheels.

You might, maybe get a bit more range at 10A/cell with the BAK N21700CG-50 cells compared to using the Molicel P42A but if you’re going any higher than 10A burst then go with P42A’s as the voltage sag will be smaller and you’ll actually get better range with the lower capacity, but more efficient P42A’s.

2 Likes

BAK sounds like a off brand cell does it corrode? P42a it is then.