The battery builders club

BAK is a high quality Chinese cell brand, similar to Lishen

1 Like

Hmm yeahh I think Iā€™ll go with the Canadian molie brand.

1 Like

Definitely not a bad choice, mostly because youā€™re in such a low P configuration.

If only I could get some 30Tā€™s then I can go with a 1p pack.

BAK is a huge, established cell manufacturer, larger than Molicel, and they make some pretty good cells. You mentioned low cost and BAKā€™s cost less than Molicels. You never mentioned not wanting China-manufactured cells, which are almost always available at a lower cost than cells from the big manufacturers and often have equal performance.

Iā€™m confused why you felt I would recommend crappy cells.

Just a side noteā€¦all li-ion round cells can corrode, theyā€™re nickel-plated steel. :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

Oh its not the cells that are the problem the open air corrosion was something that happened to me before so I was trying to avoid it this time. Iā€™m not sure if anyone tests this to be honest.

1 Like

Absolutely not, the voltage sag would be huge and your range would be terrible. And the Molicel P42A runs for longer than the Samsung 30T at 30A.

4 Likes

All of the round cells are susceptible to that though.

2 Likes

Yeah but Iā€™m sure the thickness of the nickle plating is different.

Your battery has its cells out in the open?

2 Likes

Well I live by the coast so the air is salty and getā€™s in somehow.

Probably, but the edges are exposed at the top for all cells, where the top is crimped over.

Thereā€™s probably some company, lab, or govā€™t agency who tested for this somewhere. Might be worth a search?

2 Likes

I looked it up and sony murratta vtc4 18650ā€™s pop up but this looks old 2018. Is there a new version of this cell?

Well its not sealed to air Iā€™m not even sure if thatā€™s possible.

Since 2017 the VTC round cells have been made by Murata and we havenā€™t, to my knowledge, seen any external changes in the cells since then. But there certainly could have been adjustments in the base alloy, plating thickness, etc.

You might consider conformally coating your entire pack once all wired up, to seal everything, if corrosion is big concern for you. Since spot-welding blasts through the plating on the cells you canā€™t depend on one cell or another having better protection.

1 Like

Iā€™ll test the cells individually by dipping them in the sea and leaving out in the sun for a week. What were those BAK 5000mah cells called again? Iā€™ll do the 2100 VTC murrataā€™s and molie 42a cells too.

Iā€™d recommend using something like these: https://www.amazon.com/Zerust-Rust-Prevention-Plastabs-Pack/dp/B00ULSW6FS
Theyā€™re plastic infused with volatile corrosion-inhibitor compounds that slowly diffuse out and protect anything stored nearby. A fairly well-sealed enclosure with one of these in it should keep your pack nice and happy for several years even in salty air.

1 Like

Watching your videos very informative.

Oh dang those are brilliant! I never knew such a product existed.

1 Like

Cā€™monā€¦just scroll up and check. :grin:

4 Likes