The battery builders club

Crap, IS IT A 30Q THING? :smiling_face_with_tear:

2 Likes

They suck hairy donkey balls dude

6 Likes

I have had the same thing with 30Q in the past, bms choice doesnt seem to matter. I have had issues on daly & D140. And friend of mine with a couple of packs using LLT smart BMSes.

It sure is painfulā€¦

1 Like

Any science as to why? Should i get rid of my 30q packs? Itā€™s so annoying to see my packs go off balance and iā€™m left doubting my building quality.

They start off charging to full at 41.9/42v, and even then the packs probably arenā€™t used heavily, since i alternate between my boards.

Then after awhile it charges to 40v, wot.

2 Likes

One of the packs I have used for 2+ years. it is potted to the enclosure with silicone but still open to the point that I can just open up the enclosure, and manually balance the thing every few months or so. It is not a good time, thatā€™s for sure.

If you have a smart bms hooked up it is less of a headache for sure.

The bms stops when the first p-group reaches 4.2 so you wont burn you house down that way. (also probably why your pack is only at 40V. you might have a ton of drift there so I would def be cautious!)
and if you dont discharge it super low and have the lowest P-group run too low you should be sort of fineā€¦

thatā€™s how I have personally treated mine anyways and it has been okayā€¦

1 Like

Personally I think its just the consistency (or lack of) of the cells.

Iā€™ve seen numerous packs all do the same thing and after tearing them down and scrutinising the builds (some mine, some others) all I can put it down to is that the cells just suck. They give up for no good reason.

6 Likes

Man, to think a couple years ago it was the gold standardā€¦ :pleading_face:

2 Likes

Weā€™ve been spoiled with Molicel now. No looking back!

5 Likes

Shit, shouldā€™ve placed an order of a couple boxes of P26A with my recent order.

2 Likes

Haha well hopefully that works out in your favour. LMK if they what they end up charging you if you ever do have to pay.

I mean I already got the cells and built them, whatā€™re they gonna do repo my esk8?

BMS stops charging after the first group reaches 4.2v. Since others are lower, the average voltage is less than 4.2v/cell.

Leaving your board on the charger for longer can help, as it gives the BMS extra time to balance things out.
Having a smart BMS that you can trigger the balancing manually, or set it to balance more aggressively also really helps.

3 Likes

Guys, what power supply do you usually prefer to use to connect your welder?

Every now and then my welder stops working, I donā€™t know if itā€™s the power supply or the welder. 0.0

What do you mean, connect? Do you mean connector? Power source?

Power source. :thinking:

What welder do you have and what is your current power source?

This one.

1 Like

That battery appears to have some kind of small display on it. What does it do?

Does it contain some kind of BMS that could be getting upset by the high-current pulses and shutting down?

1 Like

I know Fedex will send a bill in the mail a few weeks later. Not sure about UPS but lucky you if they just screwed up!

1 Like

Pulled the trigger on a BulkBattery order. Iā€™ll post an update with what the duty/customs fees were when I inevitably get screwed by them later.

2 Likes