The battery builders club

…so…

2 Likes

Well, the pack is concentrated towards each end to improve the sprung mass ratio for the ‘suspension’. The mass of a rider’s body keeps the deck stationary under the feet, so the wheels flex up and the middle of the deck flexes down going over bumps (I think there’s a .gif on the momentum wheels thread where you can see this happen). Keep the pack away from the center and under the feet, and you should get a smoother ride and less stress on the pack and structure.

I’m putting the ESC, the loop key, and the charge port in a separate mini enclosure on top of the deck for quick access. My idea is that the battery can live on its own with only one weather seal to worry about instead of a ton of panel mount things, and I can use non-waterproof connectors for power/charge/vesc USB by keeping them inside a latched box.

1 Like

What deck is this hourglass shaped beauty to reside upon, if I may ask? Sounds cool

2 Likes

Thanks, the chassis isn’t finished yet but here she be

8 Likes

Oooooo yeeah! We need a flyboy thread/videos to follow

2 Likes

Haha, I appreciate the enthusiasm but I’m doing that thing where you drop the whole build in one post at the end. No video series this time since I’m not breaking a lot of new ground, but I do want to do a cinematic edit with some ride footage

6 Likes

count me in this

1 Like

I regret doing this :rofl::rofl: it takes so long.
One suggestion is to put all potential photos into its own file/album as you go. It sucks paging through months and months of photos finding the build ones.

3 Likes

That second picture looks especially awesome! Nice job :+1:

1 Like

Way ahead of you pal, I’m actually writing the build thread as I go :+1:

2 Likes

giphy (2)

4 Likes

That’s a goddamn work of art dude. Kudos.

Is it just my eyes or does there appear to be some balance wires crossing each other without insulation?

2 Likes

There’s a few crossings yeah, I put a pad of fishpaper over each one. Are you referring to a different area?

1 Like

Has anyone here bought cells from bulkbattery or 18650batterystore and had them shipped to Canada? If so, how were the customs/brokerage fees? Unlike in bed, I’m trying to get screwed as lightly as possible, and google searches for USPS fees are bringing up nothing useful.

I don’t know if it’s worth paying the additional cost upfront for “USPS First Class Package International” from 18650batterystore or if I should just go with the lower cost and “Economy International” from bulkbattery and say a little prayer to the shipping gods.

3 Likes

Is it ok to reweld existing welds?

I discovered halfway into welding the pack that the welds don’t stick a well as the test welds did and I’d rather not pull all the nickel off and sand the cells flat again.

1 Like

I wouldn’t weld in the same spots, but if needed you could add some fresh welds in the unwelded areas.

This is a reminder to test your welding settings on the exact cell and nickel combo you’re planning on using for your actual pack, different cells can have significantly different welding characteristics.

7 Likes

Yo tight here. I got them shipped to the west coast, the UPS guy called me and told me I’d get a bill in my email, I got an email with an invalid UPS link and got my package 2 days later without paying any fees. Idfk what was going on but I’m not complaining.

2 Likes

I built an esk8 style battery using this method further up in the thread

I built a second one with new cells right after that. Both are performing well, but I don’t have a nickel battery to compare it against so I don’t know if it’s performing any better.

Really have to turn up the KWeld to get solid welds. I have some settings and thicknesses in that post. It was attached to a bank of 3x 280ah LiFePO4 batteries in series.

I’m starting to get paranoid on my battery packs recently. Not sure about the packs i’ve built for others but my packs have been going off balance lately. I wouldn’t say its the build quality of the packs either as i always put quality first.

Is it a BMS thing? Is it a cell issue? I’m confused and annoyed. They all happen on Daly BMS that are 10s however.

1 Like

Bet you they’re all 30q packs

2 Likes