The "Baby Blue Racer"!

That thing is so sexy wow! Hows the board and makerx holding up

1 Like

Just did the first real ride with it yesterday! The esc is going great but the 3d printed pulleys arenā€™t. Printing some pulleys in abs now. I hope those will hold up better.

2 Likes

@mishrasubhransu do you have any tips for printing with abs? The biggest issue Iā€™m having is the pins going into the wheel are snapping. You have any idea on how to prevent this?

1 Like

Can you show me the part ? And the model that you are using?

Edit: Found your pulley. Well it will break. Only nylon might be able to sustain those forces on those skinny pegs. What I suggest you do is find dowels from your local hardware store that goes into the kegel holes just right and then modify your design to have holes which tightly hold those dowels in place of 3D printed pins.

2 Likes

Such an awesome build BTW, I somehow had missed this.

2 Likes

Do you think useing 10 pins instead of 5 will help?

Like this-

Of course. And if you let superglue soak in. That will add to the strength too. But I highly recommend the dowel idea.

4 Likes

@mishrasubhransu how would I secure the dowel to the part? Just press it it?

yes. Pressfit(+superglue maybe). There is no axial force so itā€™s not going to come out.

2 Likes

I have printed camera mounts with a hole through the center of the pin and used a paper clip, or anything with a small diameter and metal, and glue it in the hole. Itā€™s pretty simpleā€¦straighten a paper clip or mostly anything rigid and metal, mix up a little 2-step epoxy and put some in the hole, tap in the metal piece, let it cure for overnight.

1 Like

Would this work if cut to size?

2 Likes

I have used those rods in a higher stress application and they havenā€™t failed on me yet.

3 Likes

Yeah, absolutely.

1 Like

wait how the f do you fit a press fit pulleys on a regular length cal 2 axle? or am I missing something in my life?

2 Likes

The design was simple enough-

Iā€™ll prob try this next week.

3 Likes

You can get away with fewer dowels, since itā€™s steel.

any screws of that diameter?
might be able to try that

1 Like

M5 should work.

2 Likes

@Schtekarsten yes itā€™s possible! More info here-

New modular/interchangeable press-fit pulley for Kegel wheels that require no modification to Cal ll trucks!

Still plan on makeing these out of metal but the the machine shop I was talking to sorta switched the price on me last minute so I need to find a new one.

damn you are a fucking genius. how is the lip on the wheel pulley holding up feels like it will be crushed by the bearing and the wheelcore?
well I havenā€™t tested it myself obviously, cus im still att the stoneage taping and using screws with my 3d printed pulleys.
But 3d prints are weak as fuck when it comes to layeradhesion and especially you havenā€™t tuned your settings for the materials right.
nylon hybrids is the bomb in my opinion. my taulman alloy 910 is easy as shit to print layer adhesion is out of this world with zero fan and printing as 250-255. quality glue stick for bed adhesion is more than enough. got garolite too but canā€™t be bothered swapping build plates sins i donā€™t have any problems either way. my printer is modified to shits though but creasome mod and linear advance is what iā€™m basing my settings from.

but basically my 910 is outliving my belts by a long shot. probably 500km in on then I canā€™t really see any visible wear on the teeth, and I ride with 12mm belts, idlers and super lose belt tension. I have heard wonder regarding the Polymaker CoPa. And i guess you could try cheaper filament such as taulman bridge.
so maybe if you use that 12 pegs and get the layer adhesion good and proper i think you might be able to ditch the metal pegs and all the work that goes into it. idk might be worth a try.
But in my opinion toss that petg, asa & abs shit in the garbage, especially when it comes to wheel pulleys.

1 Like