TelTail Lights (TTL) - Interactive eSkate Lighting System

@Kalitapaws, @Ace, thanks for the support!

@Scepterr, I do have a few modes that produce a similar effect but the refresh rate of the addressable LED functions I currently have in place are too slow to produce the fluid motion that is shown in the videos you shared. I am working on speeding up the refresh rate now and will post some demo videos once that’s been accomplished. Hopefully I do not need to upgrade the MCU I am using to accomplish this, but we will see.

4 Likes

For the past month or so I’ve been working on a very important update to the TTL FW and App in preparation of selling kits. Since it is important that the FW keeps updating with new features and bug fixes, but no one really wants to have to open up their board for every new FW released, I implement wireless FW updates through the app :smiley: Below is a quick demo of the update process.

8 Likes

I would be interested in getting a beta unit for my 1000 led build “Luminar” currently working with 4 X Espixelsticks and getting them to work with my board is a nightmare.

3 Likes

I am also extremely interested for many reasons.

One of which is the leiftech that I haven’t broken too bad yet, really want to ride it at night. The gyroscope changing lighting is everything I want and more.

4 Likes

There is a perfect mode for that :heart_eyes:

7 Likes

Ooh putting the TTL system on a leiftech / summerboard would be super cool especially when taking advantage of the gyro based modes like you mentioned :smiley: Im just not sure how the control module would be mounted and how it would be powered since the enclosures look like they wouldnt have extra space inside. Any thoughts?

1 Like

Thanks for your interest in the system :slight_smile: I see that you are using WS2812 strips for your build. Unfortunately the control module is only able to use APA102/SK9822 strips at the moment since the timing of the WS2812 protocol is too strict for the MCU to keep up with using my current communication implementation :slightly_frowning_face: Hopefully after some optimization I can get them supported, but no promises just yet.

Mine is totally custom electronics so it’ll fit fine. It would need to basically be a fully external system if you put it on a summerboard under warranty or something. Little external battery would be no problem.

Perhaps you should design a 3D printed box for when the control board is not mounted inside an enclosure.

I would love to pick up one of the first units to try it out asapapa

3 Likes

@Fosterqc You’re like a year late on the first units bro! But the v2 betas will be a big improvement. I’m sure @Ricco will send you one

4 Likes

haha yeah I guess what I mean is I need it NOW

3 Likes

That’s been my issue, the esp8266 can run two independent strings but not talk to the receiver at the same time. I can run them as one string but my refresh rate goes to shit.adafruit has dedicated drivers I might go down that route.

2 Likes

Do you need the wireless capabilities of the esp8266? And are you using dedicated SPI peripherals in the esp or are you bit banging the data? I dont know much about the esp8266 but if you are only able to bit bang, then you could try switching to a microcontroller that has multiple SPI peripherals so your code is not bogged down by writing each bit of the data.

1 Like

Oh wow, just checked out your build thread, good shit! I’ll send you a PM to discuss getting you a beta kit :slight_smile:

I have wanted to make a version for push boards since the beginning which would have it own battery and just be mounted to the underside of the deck, but I’ve gotta finish this version up before I pursue that :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Thats cool!. A little bit over engineered for my tastes.

1 Like

@Ricco am I able to buy some of these? I would love to add lights to my DIY when I update my enclosure! I’m using a focbox Unity, would they work with that?

3 Likes

Whens this come back in stock?

3 Likes

Yep! Works great with my unity. Really great lighting system made by a really great dude.

4 Likes

How’s this project going?

@GetThorped, @NullBlox, Im glad you are interested in the TTL system. It hasn’t officially launched for sale yet, but I am soooo close to it. My day job, planning for my wedding, and many other little things have kept me from finalizing he project for a while now. I pretty much just have to nail down a some details about the kits I will offer and pull the trigger on ordering bulk of all the parts needed.

To get started on nailing down those details, I have some questions for everyone:

Headlight Cable Length
From the beta kit requests, I’ve seen that ~30" will suit most builds.

• 25" (58cm)
  • 30" (76cm)
  • 35" (89cm)

0 voters

Tail Light Cable Length
From the beta kit requests, I’ve seen that ~20" will suit most builds.

• 15" (38cm)
  • 20" (51cm)
  • 25" (58cm)

0 voters

Horn Cable Length
From the beta kit requests, I’ve seen that ~20" will suit most builds.

• 20" (51cm)
  • 25" (58cm)
  • 30" (76cm)

0 voters

Side Light Cable Length
The beta testers were all supplied with 12" cables for the side lights and I did not get any complaints.

• 12" (31cm)
  • 16" (41cm)
  • 20" (51cm)

0 voters

System Type Interest
I’d like to know the ratio of how many people are interested in each of the system types; Self Powered (SP) and Externally Powered (EP).

SP systems run off of 6-12S (24-48v) and just need to be plugged directly into the battery (or anti-spark switch). EP systems run off of 12v DC provided by an external 12v power supply.

The SP system can provide up to 2.5A total to the lights. The EP system, can handle up to 10A depending on the external 12v regulator used. Therefore, the EP could support much more powerful lights than the SP system.

• Self Powered (good for cruisers and low profile builds)
  • Externally Powered (good for eMTBs or high speeds)
  • One of Each Please

0 voters

Side Light Type
I’d also like to know the ratio of people interested in each of the RGB side light types; Analog and Digital (addressable).

Analog strips are all the same color. Digital strips allow for theach LED to be set to a different color. Both have plenty of light modes to choose from.

• Analog (lower cost, less complex effects)
  • Digital (higher cost, more complex effects)

0 voters

1 Like

I would prefer SP system only if you could up the A a little bit like 3a or 4a to use some slightly more powerful lights, but I’m not sure how complicated/feasible it is for you
Otherwise looks good! Seems like there will be tons of settings to play with :grin:

3 Likes