"Supply Side" Output USB C PD DIY Power Bank/stuff not related to charging boards HV battery.

I was using the other thread about charging boards with USB C PD to talk about charging other stuff so here is a place for that.

This looks nice, not crazy affordable though.

3 Likes

Quote blob from other posts

1 Like

I think this is meant to extend a USB C cable, although I wonder if there are data lines going through it, and if a signal could make it fine through two 10ft cables.

1 Like

XYPDS100 step export.STEP (7.5 MB)

1 Like

Perhaps.
Depends a lot on the construction of the cable/connectors, the data rate, and the extender/repeater that’s used. I don’t remember what the USB spec is for cable length.

1 Like

I’m looking for the right spec docs on USB-IF but it’s tricky, IIRC 25 feet before signal degradation is the spec for USB2.0 and 2.1

1 Like

USB-PD EPR seems to just spec permissible voltage drops, which makes sense. No need to spec wire gauges or lengths if you just define the limits for the losses.

I think it’s 250mV for signal and GND and 500mV for VBUS. What that turns into for cable length depends on the wire gauge, shield thickness (gauge), and connector quality.

2 Likes

There are standards for STP cables but those are primarily used for inside building walls/floors and mostly for networking. USB is sort of a no man’s land of cables and qualities and sheathing.

We could probably do better using POE lmao

1 Like

I did some messing about with an adjustable power supply to see what kind of variance of voltage between the level occurs.

At 8V it starts at the next level from 5, limits at 9v until
11V it starts at the next level but does not limit increasees of voltage up until
15V where it limits voltage until you get to
19V where lt allows up to 20.1.

I would assume this is the same across the many DC buck PD supply modules. I am thinking about what levels of PD output a given battery pack could output through the voltage curve. 7S being dead at 17.5V still allowing 15V output for example. 8S full charge being more than the max 32V input the xypds100 however.

1 Like

When you connect a battery to the trigger board then connect it to the output without power on the input of the xypds100 it shows your voltage.

Assuming related to that… If you leave it like that then connect power to the input of the PD supply module, it does not start charging. The trigger board has be not plugged in to the battery, connect PD supply module to the trigger board then to battery.

I can guess why kinda but don’t really get it.

That last post is confusing lol, am still wondering how to find out what the situation is with connection order needed for amps to flow.

A question I have on the topic of building PD output into a esk8, what issues could come about with a device like a laptop being connected to charge then also connecting to the electronics in another way?

like plugging in USB to vesc might be fine but something along those lines, DC lines to be particular.

As phrased, I don’t think I understand your questions.

But here’s a shot at answering them…
If you have a valid USB output port you can charge your laptop with it. If you have another separate USB output port then you can use it for whatever else you want (consistent with what a USB port can do).

The power source for these two ports should have no effect on their operation as long as it maintains the needed voltage and can easily handle the current draw requirements. The two ports can use a single power source or each port can have its own power source.

2 Likes

The question better worded is the laptop is charging via the board’s buck USBC output, then the laptop has a cable going to the vesc. I am pretty sure there is no issue, just funny to think about the energy transfer chain.

2 Likes

lmao the TESLA Desktop Charger

Bunch of DC DC USB C PD Bucks

None of those are like these ones with HV input, so more for powerbanks compared to this for esk8.

unless you committed to building in your own 24V output, then any of those could be used.

1 Like

I’m beginning to think it will be 2024 before we see any higher power EPR charging support from the big manufacturers. :pensive: Not even hints of it yet.

2 Likes
2 Likes

Lishen LA’s and one heck of a PCB assembly.
I was hoping for 240W EPR by start of 2023 but I’m thinking now that 160W will be as high as it goes by then. Perhaps 240W by 2024?

(Edit) arrgghhh….EPR I meant…corrected

2 Likes