USB-C for charging

Too many words, not enough make usb c worky

Wordy make worky more better. Smaller wordy make worky not work.

9 Likes

Boosting a 20v5a USBC laptop charger to around 50.4v @1.75a (after inefficiencies and whatnot) is a great solution for a slow charger imo. Or a small commuter board. You can recharge it while you exist (say after a commute) and help preserve cycle life with the slow charge.

4 Likes

https://m.aliexpress.com/item/1005002008893587.html

Found another pd output buck with double the output of pds100 but more than double the price so eh …

https://m.aliexpress.com/item/4000149214751.html

That is a lot of confusion

https://m.aliexpress.com/item/1005002877988981.html

70V input! Huh that’s pretty good :blush::+1:

1 Like

“Full blood VOOC” lmao sounds funny

1 Like

Ain’t no half blood I guess…

I made a new thread for talking about USB C stuff that isn’t for HV batt/board charging.

USB C PD DIY Power Bank/stuff not related to charging boards HV battery.

4 Likes

Picked these up, not sure when I’ll get around to trying out my experiments but I’ve got em now

This boost converter is an aluminum PCB, which is pretty cool

3 Likes

3 Likes

Something just occurred to me…how are you going to limit each USB port to 60W and/or limit the total to 120W? The pack will try to draw as much current as it can.

The pack can try to draw as much as it wants, the power adapter will not provide more than its rating

That’s my concern…standard CV power supplies like the adapters will shut down to prevent damage if you try to run them at above their ratings. Only constant-current (CC/CV) supplies will limit the current and continue to run.

Also, each port can only handle 100W so you’ll need a way to force them to share current if you are drawing the 120W max of the adapter. You wouldn’t be able to let one port handle the full 120W.

I realllly want this to work but I’m wondering how now that I’m giving it more thought.

4 Likes

The boost converter he’s using looks like it has two pots, most likely for setting current and voltage limits.

6 Likes

Ahhh….good eye! That solves a lot of problems. Now we just need the adapter channels to not fry each other or one to just shut down. :crossed_fingers:

3 Likes

I think it might have been asked about already but what about two 20V PD outputs going to two BMS/packs in series? Then just use BMS that are ok with series config and that might work good.

or with the series connection still frying the supply?

oh yeah… then you can not use a single port/charger of the two maybe possible… unless you have another port/booster or use for single 20V PD supply or also each port at a time to fully charge, halftime switches no fun though.

1 Like

Yup, there would be fire.
The “ground” for the top pack’s circuitry would be connected to the ground for the bottom’s pack circuitry, short-circuiting the bottom pack through those grounds.

2 Likes

diagramsz plz

I can make a template

You still have the ground issue and fire.
You would need fully isolated power supplies…not cheap.

2 Likes

:thinking:

hmm you seen this not cheap thing then I guess

1 Like

That is a valid point, I guess we shall see

This is also true, this boost converter has CC CV but it would be after the PD negotiator board, so it will be interesting to see how this all works out. Maybe I’ll try to put some multimeters between things to get some readings when I set it in motion

1 Like

No need, thanks. I have MoochCAD installed… :crazy_face:
Ignore the lack of PD triggers and boost supply. This is just to show how the pack can be shorted. Using two USB adapters, two PD triggers, and two boost supplies would still result in chaos as the boost converters share grounds too.

3 Likes