USB-C for charging

Thanks for doing that! I’ve been a doubter all along about paralleling supplies (so much depends on the supplies used) but if I am wrong I will be a verrrrry happy person.

3 Likes

Excellent. I am very much looking forward to seeing how this works out!

2 Likes

Yah for sure. I’ve seen plenty of people do parallel with real psu’s too but with that, you can set the output and they’re much more accurate, no automatic stuff

Same - I’m going to go ahead and order these

And this boost converter

3 Likes

I want to know where the heck MELIFE is finding those IP2721 trigger chips! They’re not available anywhere. Though, perhaps they bought a few hundred thousand before the shortages and are just using existing stock.

Which USB charging adapters were you going to try paralleling?

1 Like

Lol good question. Probably haha

I went ahead and ordered the KOVOL one that claims 60W + 60W

1 Like

I’ll let it run for an hour and see

Agreed. Meanwell says you can’t run their HLG switching power supplies in parallel because there is no current sharing feature… however (chargers set to different voltages to see if that matters):

No power supplies connected. 44v 12s battery level

PS set to 51v connected solo

PS set to 53v connected in parallel with the 51v

Pretty clearly shows that it’s sharing current at an equal level. These PSUs won’t go over 4.8A even if shorted. Of course once charger 1 hits 51v the 53v charger will take over… and this is all for an experiment, I’m not charging a 12s battery to 53v haha

3 Likes

That’s what I’m wondering about. I assumed that standard CV power supplies (like in USB charging adapters) would be used. But perhaps the key is using CC/CV power supplies like your HLG’s with their built in CC current limiting.

Diode the outputs, to keep one from possibly feeding into the other since never exactly same voltages, and then let each just current limit to the load.

I don’t think any USB charging adapters use CC/CV supplies though. Just protected CV supplies. CC/CV just isn’t needed for their intended uses.

I think CC/CV supplies with PD interfaces would need to be designed. But then why go USB PD at all. You could just plug a CC/CV supply at the right voltage into the board. :grin: Yea, it needs to work with stock USB charging adapters.

2 Likes

The chargers were warm to the touch but not bad.

I ran it for 30 minutes at 1.66A and the USB boards got to 52C, but only felt warm to the touch.

Then I swapped to two independent USB chargers and ran it for 90 minutes at 2.2A. The USB boards got up to about 75C in some spots measured with an IR gun and were hot but not burning to the touch.

I think as long as you set it up in the open and measure the temps though a charge cycle you will have a good idea of how it will all work together.

1 Like

Fuck. Don’t have time to read thread.

Do we have a good/quick & simple USB charging setup for 12s-20s batteries yet?

1 Like

Tldr not quite

Except for Kevin grael apparently but he didn’t really share details

1 Like

Sounds promising, I’m kind of intrigued to see how my setup works out. Might not get to it until Jan depending on a variety of things though

1 Like

Nope.
And there never will be. Not by using two USB charging adapters, two cables, two trigger boards, perhaps some diodes, a boost converter, and the needed connectors and wiring.

But since it’s the only way to do this great USB charging idea perhaps we can eventually package it all together better. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Too many words, not enough make usb c worky

Wordy make worky more better. Smaller wordy make worky not work.

9 Likes

Boosting a 20v5a USBC laptop charger to around 50.4v @1.75a (after inefficiencies and whatnot) is a great solution for a slow charger imo. Or a small commuter board. You can recharge it while you exist (say after a commute) and help preserve cycle life with the slow charge.

4 Likes

https://m.aliexpress.com/item/1005002008893587.html

Found another pd output buck with double the output of pds100 but more than double the price so eh …

https://m.aliexpress.com/item/4000149214751.html

That is a lot of confusion

https://m.aliexpress.com/item/1005002877988981.html

70V input! Huh that’s pretty good :blush::+1:

1 Like

“Full blood VOOC” lmao sounds funny

1 Like

Ain’t no half blood I guess…

I made a new thread for talking about USB C stuff that isn’t for HV batt/board charging.

USB C PD DIY Power Bank/stuff not related to charging boards HV battery.

4 Likes

Picked these up, not sure when I’ll get around to trying out my experiments but I’ve got em now

This boost converter is an aluminum PCB, which is pretty cool

3 Likes

3 Likes