Spiral Bevel Gears Drive

tag me again when this is happening

1 Like

Anyone still using this drive system other than Linny? Worth bringing back the spiral gear drive?

5 Likes

Absolutely. Always good to have more options, especially something like this as long as it’s strong and reliable. Plus looks wild.

1 Like

Did it ever arrive in the first place? A few sets were around but really just testing I think. Was not super available or widely used and tested. :call_me_hand:

We could run much longer motors lol

1 Like

@Ace has set. I was lucky enough to take them on their maiden voyage. They just look fast as fuck.

1 Like

If you make a steel on steel spiral bevel gear drive that fits BN 145mm hangers, forward (underneath) or rear mounted, I’m in for 2 sets already, no further questions asked. Won’t even ask if it’s kegel or abec pins.

2 Likes

Do it!

2 Likes

I’d be happy to do the design for them, I just don’t have the resources to do the machining, anyone with a CNC wanna do a partnership?

4 Likes

I’ve been experimenting with this for almost a year now. I kinda like my results thus far.

13 Likes

Got any pics?

5 Likes

PICS

These are great. Like @b264 mentioned, you can run short or long hangars, and not worry about motor length. Also, ground clearance is the best out of all gear drives out right now as the wheel gear is small. I get 25mm of ground clearance on my zoobomb 111s. We need more of these. No more scraped gearboxes!

14 Likes

Not really that I care to share at this point. (Normally, I’m very open to sharing along the way.)
A little over a year ago I made bevel gear drive for a special industrial machine application and decided to make a smaller version to somewhat fit Eska8. While I have ran the gearbox with a 6374 motor, I still have yet to mount one to trucks and actually ride though. (Making machines puts food on my table, not Eska8)

12 Likes

2:1 ratio, correct? How are you liking that?

2 Likes

This shouldnt be too horrendous to reproduce right? I have made bevel gearboxes for 30lb battlebots and its pretty straightforward. Just need strong bearings for axial and radial loads like tapered roller bearings

1 Like

First, great job making bevel gearboxes! That is awesome bro. It is very straightforward, and very easy.
Second, I’m not looking to reproduce this design.

1 Like

You had me at battlebots!

3 Likes

I thought it wasnt enough, but 190kv 6374s was more than plenty for me.

4 Likes

Love mine as well!
BTW I’ve scanned and reverse-engineered the components. I don’t know how he produced them for so cheap, (I think it was 160 USD per 1 assembly) it looks like a lot of machining.

BTW 2 - the front hub is Bergs hub 3D printed and being tested.

12 Likes