Some Reporting Issues with Vesc Wand (Under investigation)

If I place my body between me and the board then it does lose connection.
However the same happens with the Maytech remote even easier even with the updated receiver with the antenna.

1 Like

One of the reasons I never bought one of the maytechs :sweat_smile:
That kind of behavior just doesnā€™t let me grow much trust. Especially not after my crash shortly caused by a shitty signal on my gt2b and after @rich crash I might rethink my plan to go on tour with the wand tomorrow.
I mean i would be probably fine as I ride with the remote close to the receiver, but I do not want to make pipi in my pans on my next ride :joy:

3 Likes

Damn you started the fist connection challengeā€¦
Guess what I am doing since 20 minutes :joy:
I should eat and sleep but this seemed more interesting.

My fist connection is almost 7 meters, with body in between itā€™s almost 4 meters. 2 times the board went full throttle after a short break after losing connection but couldnā€™t reproduce it. When in cruise control the motors donā€™t spin after reconnection but do some strange quiet noises. When I turn one wheel a bit by hand the other wheel starts to spin in the opposite direction like crazy, this works in both directions.

3 Likes

Exactly what I reported some days ago as well. Sometimes out of nothing the board goes full throttle for some seconds instead of just slowing down. Something that could easy threw you off.

7 and 4m seems not too bad.
Guess you won the fist connection challenge for today :joy:

3 Likes

Smart reverse is probably not working because the trigger sits too low after the crash. Display connection can be checked. There is a small connector with a lever. Push the lever up and pull out the display connection, clean it and re-inserr it.

This is normal behaviour. Cruise control doesnā€™t come back to it original RPM after a connection loss. On the bench your wheel slows down fast. The CC command doesnā€™t work on the bench, so if you touch one wheel, the other wheel does funny things. You need load for CC to work.

I would need to ask myself. I thought you were in touch with Dave.

Will check after workā€¦

Remotes donā€™t work under water. 65% of your body is water. If you surround a remote entirely with your body, RF dropouts are to be expected. The further away the antenna from your hand, the better.

So sorry to read your crash @rich
On my side, I ride only at 30A/motor avoiding such bad surprises when a dropout occurs.
I have to ride with my tail-side hand (left one although Iā€™m righ-handed. Akward but safer).
I have dropout if I bring the remote to my face for reading the screen by sunny day (making a sun-shield with the other hand. Kind of @Andy87 's fist control).
That corroborates what you guys find out with your WAND.

Mine is only 10%.
The rest is beer and itā€™s well known that hop is RF permeable. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

It is not the water in your body that affects your remote. Water absorbs very little signal at the frequencies of esk8 remotes. Unless you are hundreds of kilometers thick, the loss is negligible.

There are minerals in the body that do absorb RF. They can contribute to the problem. The problem is more likely an issue with the graphite and aluminum body of the remote causing blockages at certain angles between the remote and receiver. The right way to find out is with an RF sniffer. If Trampa wants help I have the equipment available at work.

Edit: not all the way accurate since the %mass of water in the atmosphere is .25% and 70% in the human body. So you would only have to be a kilometer thick to block enough signal with water to matter.

Edit2: You can rent an RF sniffer but at these frequencies you would have to test either in an anechoic chamber or out where there is no cell service with your other wireless devices shut down.

7 Likes

Gotta go on a low-mineral diet to be more RF transparent. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Everytime I read these justifications of a garbage NRF module Iā€™m reminded of Trump.

6 Likes

On this note, the VX-1 is a 2.4ghz remote and isnā€™t NRF 2.4ghz?

Why is it that I can be 50ft away from my board, bury my VX-1 remotes in my beer gut with the board to my back and still have a flawless connection with so many people reporting issues with NRF? is it the power output or something with software? I havenā€™t had the space or the motivation to walk far enough away to get disconnects with my VX-1 yet- I figure if I am far enough away that I canā€™t make out details on my board anymore with 20/20 vision and it still works, the connection is probably good enough imo.

I havenā€™t used a wand extensively, but from what I read this probabably isnā€™t the case with the wand, and I am genuinely curious why that might be: if 2.4ghz is 2.4ghz it should be absorbed regardless unless the VX-1 is outputting an order of magnitude more power.

This all reminds me of the iPhone 4 antenna problem. You hold the phone a certain way, and it drops itā€™s connection. When Apple was asked about the problem they responded, ā€œyouā€™re holding the phone the wrong wayā€. image

5 Likes

I also had some funkiness on my ride today. I did record it. :grin:(Iā€™ll look into that tmw)
Goofy rider and I hold my wand in the right hand.(accelerations out of nowhere)

1 Like

I did setup a board with dongle under my right foot, toe side (regular rider) and remote in left hand, simulating a goofy rider with the dongle in a non ideal position. The setup would come close to the setup @Pimousse uses, except that the VESC 6 is better shielded in its enclosure, so there is less RF noise next to the dongle. When you stand on your board and swing around the remote in all possible positions it will see during a ride, you can monitor the blinking dots and see if they stay fast blinking or would drop low in some positions. In such a setup you can place the body in between the Receiver and the remote and the dots would blink slower, indicating non ideal reception. Ideal position for the receiver is underneath the operating hand or centre of the deck, dongle aligned horizontally, so that your body mass will never be in between reviver and Wand. In this configuration the dots always blink fast and the connection is always stable.

I figured out it works better when you shove it up your ass sideways.

23 Likes

TL;DR
there should be an instrucional video on how exactly to hold the remote, at what angle your arm and hand must be at, how to position your body related to your hand, how and where to mount the receiver, how to turn your head, how not to talk too loud (loud talking will block signal. you here to sk8 or talk duh?) for this wand to work as intended and also,

This remote wasnā€™t intended for use by human beings, so if you still used it and get drop-outs, jokeā€™s on you.

NONE OF YOU FOLLOWED THE INSTRUCTIONS! :rofl:

8 Likes

comes in handy again

9 Likes