Some Reporting Issues with Vesc Wand (Under investigation)

you can steal my PCB antenna design for nrf52 if you like… have proven open range of 30-50m…
Not so sure about enclosed space however.

7 Likes

@Soflo Because @Pimousse didn’t respond to my offer sending a nRF52840 based module for testing I think I should be able to send it with the Metr Pro US group buy to the US when your are interested. Should also be possible to make one for @Andy87. I think PCB antenna should be fine because I already saw twice the range compared to the nRF51 based Trampa dongle in my field test with a nRF52840 based one.

6 Likes

@hexakopter I’d love to give it a shot. At this point I trust a benchwheel remote more than I trust the wand. Im excited 3rd parties are taking the lead on this and making it happen! Thank you @hexakopter! let me know when, where, and how much monies to send

4 Likes

Didn’t I ??
I should have missed it then.
Nevermind, that’s great other can try also alternatives :+1:

EDIT : just saw it. I didn’t get this was directed to me. :smile:

1 Like

Today the Wand brought me pain and embarrassment :disappointed_relieved:

Yesterday I switched to the Wand remote on my commuter (additional to my MTB). Well I reached work and there is a last uphill passage where I was riding quite fast and suddenly total power loss (or brakes not sure). In front of many colleagues I was going down like a moron. Although wearing elbow pads I have this great burning wound and my mobile is crushed.

The display of the Wand is dead and smart reverse is not working anymore. I tried new batteries but still dead.

Now I have 2 boards without remote, great :ok_hand:

7 Likes

By the sound of it, you needed a new remote anyways. All these cutouts being blamed on the user when in all honesty, the remote seems fucked. Get yourself a Puck and never worry about a cutout ever again… doesn’t matter how you hold it or what it goes inside of…

4 Likes

Damn rich. Hope you are ok! I recommend something that can survive a crash. I’ve been using the VX1, I miss the telemetry but it’s never let me down, unlike the wand.

5 Likes

If you need a remote i have a g2tb modded for sale?
Maybe a TB Nano remote too

1 Like

Sure it’s remote related and not a temp cutout or a cutout for another reason, ABS over current etc. Any issues before this incident, or did you have had seamless operation during the ride?

Thanks for your comments guys :grin:

Ordered a VX1 last week on aliexpress, too. It’s a great remote except the short throw so not the best for powerful setups. I tried it on my MTB and it’s dangerous (unintended wheelies) but fortunately I have an old VX2 laying around to replace the Wand. For my commuter I can use the old steez until the VX1 arrives.

3 Likes

I commute with the urban carver since 2 years to work and never had a cutout. Also the setup is still the same, the only thing I’ve changed is the remote. On the MTB with the Wand I have seldom hard cut offs during hard acceleration especially uphill but without getting a fault code. Today it was a quite similar situation but without bindings to save me.

I have no idea what happened but I think that something went wrong on the PCB today. The display is not working anymore (but don’t think because of the crash). I still can switch the remote on and off, acceleration and brake is working but smart reverse NOT which is weird.

The board was performing as usual until the crash happened. Also there are no interferences in this area where it happened. I was commuting to work with the MTB and the Wand several times before without issues.

I did play around a bit today.
For people riding regularly and hold the remote the signal is really fucked.
Maybe it’s a feature… lets call it fist control :man_shrugging:

6 Likes

:flushed:

3 Likes

What the hell. Can the same behavior be observed for other remotes ?

1 Like

Not sure if I want to go on the street like this. Unfortunately my gt2b did let me down some days ago. I have a vx1 and a puck comming, but till that I can either risk it or just don’t drive.

Would need to be tested. Can’t say.

1 Like

@Trampa any update on the vescs i sent you for repairs on 12 may? I don’t want to spam that email until i get a response

Andy humans are amazing absorbers of RF, we are full of water. Would like to see this with other remotes for sure!

Mine doesn’t seem to do that

Maybe it is the receiver placement?

1 Like

It doesn’t happen with mine as well if I hold it like I would ride. Right hand over the esc Box in the back.
But if I would hold it in the left hand and ride regular I could get cut outs from time to time.

You can try and play a big with your.
Like turn around that your body is in the signal path. It doesn’t always happen like I showed in the video. It took me a while to reproduce that how it’s shown in the video.
But honestly that doesn’t make it better.
A random signal loss is a dangerous situation even if it happens just once in 100 rides it can be once too much. You can never predict in which situation you are in that moment.

2 Likes