Some Reporting Issues with Vesc Wand (Under investigation)

If the signal is lost, the VESC will cut power. You tested the behaviour at the edge, where some signals might still get through, so that the power cut is not instant. If the receiver is placed correctly you will have good reception, having only max1.5m in between the remote and receiver. Signal power is not everything. I have a 2.4Ghz RC remote that would work at 200m distance and still cuts out all the time riding in Nottingham. I can do the same tour with the Wand and have zero issues. All our team riders use the Wand and they have no issues at all. You also havenā€™t had a single dropout.
Reason: In reality remote and receiver are always close to another when riding the skateboards. On that distance the signal integrity is always plenty enough as long as you donā€™t place the receiver inside a Faraday cage or buried under/behind RF-shielding elements. If you follow this simple rule, you will have a very stable and reliable connection which is indicated by the two blinking dots.
For years I have been riding with a 0dBm NRF chip - now we have 8dBM! Even with 0dBm I had no real life issues.

6:30 many cuttouts. 20 total in the test ride. Scary as fuck

Receiver replaced,. Wand board replaced. Still cuttouts. I donā€™t trust these things

Love the feeling and motion and OLED,. Hoyt for me and the friend I built this for 12s4p 30q flex pack

4 Likes

Was really nice to listen.

The part with the Girl got me :grin:

The wand had such a potential, iā€™m happy i never bought one.

1 Like

Im using a wand on my mini E chopper. There is nothing in between the dongle and the transmitter. Yet I still get cutoutsā€¦

Hey @Trampa you plan on doing anything about this issue? Or Just lip service?

7 Likes

Probably waiting on ROI ,. Then EOL it. WTF

1 Like

Hmm seems weird your switching to a stronger radio if thereā€™s no real life issuesā€¦

The NRF52840 is far more than a transceiver, it is also a powerful processor and has some nice memory.

Where is the dongle in that image?

Basically floating in the air. Nothing between it and the wand other than a part of a plastic seat.

1 Like

And your full body as well right?
Guess you need to lose some kilos :man_shrugging: Sorry

1 Like

Na Iā€™m 140lbs. Wand is on right side handle bar and rx is on right side. My skinny ass arm is all that could be in the way

gonna throw my bit in here, Iā€™ve had two cutouts. the first time it reconnected the second time i had to restart the board. it wouldnā€™t be much of and issue but when it cuts out on a hill and your strapped into a 23+kg mountain board with no brakes, it turns from a minor problem to a ā€œoh shit this is gonna hurtā€.

3 Likes

Does the Wand display V1.2 in the Temp menu?
You shouldnā€™t need to restart the board to get a connection.
Looking at your board I can see a 5mm thick aluminium plate on top of the ESC Box.
Where is the receiver located?

Is the bottom of the Wand pointing away from the receiver or is it strapped to the Bar?
The BLE module on the WAND sits on the lower site, below the display.

The bottom of the wand points forward. It sits underneath the bar.

That is not ideal, since the receiver sits in the RF shade and there is probably also body mass in between the two BLE modules.

So there is nothing between the tx and rx but now remote positioning is causing the problems? Come on man, Make a better rx and stop fucking around with peopleā€™s safety.

8 Likes

Yeah the wand does display v1.2. I have the reciever taped to the side of the box so the aluminium canā€™t block it, but it is a major problem if your reciever can get bocked by a small plate of aluminium,as you literaly house the vesc and wand in aluminium , which as you say would would block the signal

2 Likes

Some riders are left handed, and ride regular and put the receiver diagonally opposing the Wand and in a bad angle, so that RF reception is far from ideal. You simply have to assure that the receiver and Wand have good placement towards each other which is indicated by the fast blinking dots. We place the receiver top of the box, on our MTBs and the reception is always perfect. On my street boards with underboard tray I place the receiver on the side of the enclosure, under the controlling hand, toe side. For those who have issues to find a good spot for the receiver, we will offer a receiver with port for an antenna soon. Since the antenna is not a lot smaller than the receiver itself you might just place the receiver in an ideal position for good RF reception.

5 Likes

:pray: thatā€™s some good news!
Please post a link here as soon as they available in the shop.

3 Likes