Some Reporting Issues with Vesc Wand (Under investigation)

My board installation is really clean, nothing blocking the dongle other than the deck.
imgur dot com /a/XtLwMiQ

In the OSRR thread, they talk about the dongle for the OSRR being compatible with the wand and having much better performanceā€¦

1 Like

First thing to do: look at the two blinking dots, are they blinking fast?
Do you get the same behaviour when you turn the board upside down and do a bench test?
Is the dongle under your foot? Is it oriented flat or upright?

really

So if the deck has carbon layers, it is obviously blocking the signal. The reciever needs to be relocated. Try to put it on the edge of the enclosure, basically sticking it on the side wall of the enclosure (toe side). Another method is making a indentation on the upper side of the deck, so that you can drop the dongle in there, sitting flush with the deck. You can easily cover that small square compartment with griptape.

Bruh this remote sounds so shit. We throw hoyts in full carbon fiber decks and they donā€™t disconnect once

3 Likes

Yep I think the carbon layers are indeed the culprit in my case. I donā€™t have time or tools to modify the deck properly.
I think you should put a warning on the website about decks with carbon layers.

Itā€™s an unfortunate limitation. But I have to say that other than the deck issue the remote is great, sad that I canā€™t use it for my setup.

1 Like

Other than the remote disconnecting itā€™s great lmao. Sorry brother :heart:

3 Likes

BLE can be blocked by water and carbon or aluminium, steel etc. That is normal.
If you stick the receiver under carbon + under your foot then you would expect some trouble with good reception. A simple re-location ( side wall of the enclosure, toe side) will resolve these issues.

Weā€™ve had cheap remotes for years that donā€™t mind being enclosed in aluminum, carbon fiber, ectā€¦

This is getting kinda weird here Frankā€¦

4 Likes

Thereā€™s this guy who makes carbon fiber decks, we should warn him :rofl:

2 Likes

If I stick my Maytech receiver into our carbon boxes, the signal is terrible. Itā€™s a Faraday cage. The same issueā€¦

1 Like

This dude said itā€™s just the deck thoā€¦

The reciever doesnā€™t know if itā€™s a deck or a box.

2 Likes

Hope this thread still get attention.
Thought I bring back my wand today with the latest Vesc FW and V1.2 for the wand (Hope thatā€™s the latest version too)
I did some basic bench tests and found some things which made me worry.
I did play with the trigger, full throttle-brake multiple times while walking with the back facing my board away. On the edge of signal loss the full throttle signal sometimes continued 1-2 seconds even if the trigger signal on the lcd display was already in neutral position.
Continuing the full throttle - brake game on this signal loss edge the full throttle signal as well came through from time to time in the moment the trigger was in neutral position.
I also didnā€™t understood why the remote switched off by itā€™s own after some seconds without signal to the receiver despite I was playing with the throttle. Shouldnā€™t the remote just switch itself off if you do not touch any buttons or the trigger for a while? @Trampa

2 Likes

What you tried out is not a real life scenario. In reality you are very close to the receiver and ideally you place your receiver, so that you have a good reception.

Sad to hear thatā€™s the all solving answer to every issue which could be improved.

What if a signal loss is caused by a lose connection on the nrf module or somewhere in the remote or dirt or snow or I fall of the board and it continues to accelerate because the connection gets lost and the last signal the receiver received was a full throttle signal :man_shrugging:

I clearly play it up, but I think you get what I mean.
Just my opinion, but I think a remote should work properly also if itā€™s not placed in perfect conditions.

5 Likes

I think the just of what your saying is "hey maybe itā€™d be nice if there was a higher power NRF module that could be used to avoid disconnection issues in challenging environments.

This would solve the root of the issue that your describing which is a second or 2 delay when signal is lost to the board.

As far as Iā€™ve experienced every remote has a bit of input lag when signal is lost/reacquired. We should be trying to avoid any signal loss in the first place.

I mean what percentage of your customers need to have signal issues before you offer up a proper solution? @Trampa

Me personally I havenā€™t had a single disconnect while riding on either of the wands I own. I would still prefer a stronger signal so that I can control my board from more than like 6 feet away. Itā€™s got like half the range of my metr Pro and thatā€™s a non essential tracker.

2 Likes

Itā€™s not a complaint from my side. Just an input to rethink and develop some current hard and software. From a better product we all will just profit.