VESC WAND REMOTE soon to arrive from the future

Probably the aluminium thumb wheel sits a fraction too high.
The thumb wheel is clamped down with two torx screws. If you loosen them you can adjust the height.
If you can’t get it further down, the joystick pin itself is probably 0,5mm longer than average.
In this case a couple of strokes with a file will shorten the pin down a bit, so that the thumb weel can sit lower.

1 Like

Got a “remote faulty, check manual” error today on the wand, well, there is nothing in the manual, what does it mean ?, maybe the remote is the reason the board doesn’t have consistent riding power ?
@Trampa

Mine had the same issue. Had to file the housing around the joystick a bit.

I’ve stopped using my wand after breaking my second throttle potentiometer. It’s too fragile and I’m at risk of getting stranded if I go over on the board and forget to take the PPM remote out with me. I hope the V2 wand replaces that poti for something of higher quality because otherwise it’s an excellent device.

I immediately noticed a considerably more direct response with the PWM remote, I didnt realise how much latency is factoring into the feel of the NRF connection.

9 Likes

What remote are you using instead?

What will I do with my V1 Wand? :joy:

1 Like

13 Likes

There really shouldn’t be. Hrm. I’m wondering if it has to do with how the ADC sampling is handled, I seem to recall it did an filtered averaging of some sort which could introduce delay. When new Wand firmware gets posted I can take a look.

Important to note that even though the NRF chipset has Bluetooth connection support, it uses a different, low latency, radio protocol for the throttle run-time connection known as ESB (Enhanced shockburst).

I will do some side by side testing, I have my own NRF hardware I’m testing on but it’s not based on wand firmware. I’ve not measured any noticeable packet latency unless it was a range/connection limitation test.

5 Likes

I immediately noticed a considerably more direct response with the PWM remote, I didnt realise how much latency is factoring into the feel of the NRF connection.

That is adjustable in the remote app. Positive ramping and negative ramping…

Your first remote, the one I swapped had a good poti btw. There was some water inside after the ride in that terrible rain.

The stock values for the vesc tool are 0.4s and 0.2s.
The are too high IMO and you are better off setting them to 0.2s and 0.1s

2 Likes

Depends on how practised you are. For beginners it is hard to adjust to a very direct throttle.

1 Like

Just send us a mail and we can swap the PCB.

1 Like

What are the stock values for PPM mate?

@tipsy back to the VX1 whilst I wait for the new OSRR hardware to come from @DerelictRobot

7 Likes

IIRC, 0.9 positive and 0.3 for negative

1 Like

I just checked. It seems they are constantly changing.
Right now they seem to be 0.9s and 0.3s for both.

2 Likes

I just did the same.

Why?..

0.9 positive ramping can be kinda dangerous.

5 Likes

Oh hahah.

Well I never changed the settings for the NRF or the PPM just switched from stock settings on one to the other and the difference was really noticable.

4 Likes

:man_shrugging: Beats me. As far as I am concerned both values are way to much, especially the 0.3s for the brakes.
As I said I switch these to 0.2s and 0.1s.
They used to be 0.3s and 0.1s which were fine IMO.

3 Likes

@Lee_Wright which VESC-Tool/firmware are you using?

Recent releases have been a bit of a wild ride.

1 Like

Are you sure Frank?

5 Likes