Some New FOCers (84V VESC 6 based controllers)

Someone posted this up the other day, not sure which thread but hope it wasnā€™t this one! This sink is 10mm tall stock.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07V7WQVB1/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_gcKaFbECH3G5A

Sharing a single piece of heatsink(we dual ESC 97% of the time here) is more efficient than two separate ones afaik, maybe thereā€™s a better heatsink out there but this is close unless there are FETs right up to the edge of the 84mm dimension.

It would help for the vertically challenged.

EDIT: I see the capacitors(Samxon 220uF which is 21mm long) make it no difference to go to a shorter heatsink. Maybe there is a shorter cap option in order to fulfill that remit? Something about 15mm-16mm tall, with a 10mm heatsink and 5mm(?) standoffs total height above pcb could reduce by 5mm.

And since there is components on the underside of the pcb, maybe there is real estate to have smaller Aluminum Electrolytic caps on the underside to equal up to a single Samxon 220uF.

So even shorter again on the flip-side, like so 12.5mm (could be ignorant here Iā€™m no EE donā€™t punch me too hard)
https://eu.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Nichicon/URY2A101MHD1TO?qs=OZVHsXXMeBVVm7yKMl77cg%3D%3D

3 Likes

Mine maybe.

5 Likes

nope found it on teh flux thread, but probably you predated that considerably

Is that a flipsky dual taken with a flipsky camera?
grainy AF

3 Likes

DIY flipsky dual itā€™s 2 X FS 6.6 I repaired there is a 20mm copper shim and heat transfer pads under the fets. Bad photos are my specialty.

3 Likes

I donā€™t want to reduce the amount of capacitance. I could possibly look at the option having the Caps horizontally like the previous revision but that will tack on 20mm of length. This would allow for a slimmer heat sink. What do you think is the more important dimension here to optimize? Length or girth? (giggity)

5 Likes

:laughing: The general consensus is one half a dozen of the other but the one thing that gets em riled up is too much height and too much length (or width!). For this reason dual ESC is favoured since that is the most used platform, hence the huge popularity of Unity.

So what we see here is 25mm-ish or more with additional cooling. The caps on their side would work and most do it that way, footprint notwithstanding.

A custom CNCā€™d heatsink is another way to offset height and this is what the other guys do typically, of course this ends up costing the consumer more nut yeah height would be the major concern. In saying that eFoil, eBike etc typically need one ESC and care little about that.

If you care about high voltage market adoption by esk8 it canā€™t be ignored in which case you need to research the high-amp VESC6 product range by these vendors (maybe include ZESC & Maytech as well)
In fact this may be a better approach we see little of the ESCs linked here or high voltage at all due to size & the horrible freaking cost.

In order to get a better idea of what the market demands some competitor analysis is required, so if we can exclude tiny stuff and anything built on top of VESC4 standards which is not the market for this offering (Cheap FOCer already takes care of that) then the competitors are

Flipsky (:nauseated_face:)

FSESC75200 75V High Current 200A ESC Base On Vesc For E-Foil Fighting Robot Surfboard AGV Robot Arm
Size:100mmx61mmx30mm

Maker-X

GO-FOC HI200/HI100 75V 200A
Size: 112*73*36 ļ¼ˆIncluding heat sink

LaCroix (in beta)

Stormcore 100D
126X70X24mm
Of course everybody is creaming themselves with the wish for a 100D, the 100S is essentially half of that or not much larger than a focbox OG

Trampa

VESC 75V 300A
141mm Length 82mm Width 18mm Height

VESC 100V 250A
141mm Length 82mm Width 18mm Height

?Insert forgotten vendor here?

5 Likes

Thanks for the comparisons here!

Seems about 25mm of height is about right. One key property Iā€™m trying to hit still is cost. This isnā€™t meant to be the smallest, or most powerful, or highest end controller. Itā€™s meant to be the best bang for your buck while still fitting the bill for typical power needs.

9 Likes

Hey Lucas, great work as always!
Have you come up with a price point for these yet? Would be sick to have a 15S funwheel.

4 Likes

I have a target price but it all boils down to what it costs me to make these. Iā€™m trying to with hold from any guesstimates until I have pricing for services like assembly, kitting, and shipping.

6 Likes

This is exactly whatā€™s in my mind while reading this thread

2 Likes

Future Motion who? lol

3 Likes

Hi! Just wondering. Do you have an estimation when you will out out some 84V FOCers? I see all the nice updates for the other esc, but wondering which is the state of the big brother :grin:

1 Like

Iā€™m trying to avoid giving time-based predictions since clearly Iā€™m not good at it. However, I can tell you where Iā€™m at on actions.

1. Design review is done for my latest revision. This revision is it. Time to shit or get off the pot.
  2. Heat sinks and different thermal interface materials are being evaluated.
  3. Iā€™m now creating a formal BOM and will be getting full assembly quotes from a few different services.
  4. A case design is in development. Can be 3D printed, injection molded, or even be cast aluminum.
  5. The original beta tester list is being revisited and those on the list will be contacted again to gauge interest.
  6. Beta units will be ordered after tester verification and Iā€™ll probably assemble those myself to keep costs low.
15 Likes

Thanks for the info. In case someone from the beta testers can not help anymore I will probably have a 14s-15s dual escooter in the pipe line. I am going to modify a prebuilt one with better esc and battery.
I think the most important part is taking care of the electronics. Case and heatsink are easy to design. I can also help in case you need.
I think the 84V esc is what will give you the best return. Fingers crossed.

4 Likes

Itā€™s been a while since I showed this thread some love. Sorry bout that

Pics are from a prototype but beta unit materials will be in next week. Testing has been going well.

Big boy production is a challenge to set up. Still working that angle

18 Likes

Fan is an optional accessory. Helps when thereā€™s no other airflow (like most esk8 enclosures)

Enclosure is just a quick 3D printed hack piece but that general style is the direction Iā€™m going.

Really wish I could edit my posts so I can add to or fix them.

8 Likes

Looks really good! If you have spots free in the beta let me know :wink:

3 Likes

Yeh looks good. Waiting on more updates as well

3 Likes

@BillGordon can you send shaman his progress to lvl 3?

2 Likes

Heā€™s already at level 3.

4 Likes