[Serious] 3D Printed Enclosure Thread

Pics would be great. Is your enclosure universal or specifically designed a particular deck?

Given a waterborne rail adapter there is an oppurtunity to create a quick swap case released by kingpins…

I planned on making and selling these i have since not followed through happy to share files.

2 Likes

It’s universal for top mount boards. I’m not ready to share in this thread yet but you can look on Instagram for some pics

1 Like

Not recently, but a long time ago yes :slight_smile:

But I’m thinking about a new design for an unusual enclosure for a compact board.

6 Likes

6S2P?

12S1P e.g. using molicel p42a
30A discharge current is sufficient for such a set

This is not a finished design but only a enclosure concept.
Thinking about modular enclosure for example 2 or 4 cassettes.

This is to be a enclosure for 21700 batteries that does not require welding of batteries, such as a board for air transport, or for someone who wants to build a board and can not or does not want to weld batteries

4 Likes

Looks great, cant wait to see more on this.

How will the cells be joined if not by welding?

1 Like

I think a 3D printed enclosure made of segments is a viable solution. The middle pieces can be printed and glued together to the desired length.

With a segmented enclosure, you could adapt the design to many different size boards.

All true, but I wouldn’t sell an enclosure to someone not willing or able to finish it. I don’t think I would accept money for any printed parts.

The butthurt will be great if it cracks, the liability isn’t worth it, butthurt aside.

Granted, I recently printed an entire deck. Ride printed hubs. Use printed motor mounts. I just don’t trust the public. They are a silly bunch.

I want to mill the contacts out of copper, but I need to figure out how to press them effectively against the batterys

The enclosure will not be sold, when I finish this project I will make it available and you can print it yourself,
I can sell the contacts :slight_smile:

1 Like

Spring load them maybe?

If done well this could eliminate a huge barrier for people getting into diy esk8

2 Likes

This is what NESE and a few others use. Seems to work alright for most but some members here have had issues with contacts jumping around a bit and burning out.

1 Like

Thanks for the info. I found this topic thanks to you :smiley:

Burnout is what worries me the most…
Not all batteries have the same contact surfaces, plus vibration can also be a problem… but want to try :slight_smile: I like the idea…

2 Likes

@IDEA from September I’m going to be conducting some research for 6 months on material selection for 3D printed dampers. Though itll be for high shock/impact applications, I am considering looking into vibration environments too. If I find anything interesting I’ll let you know :slight_smile:

3 Likes

That’s what I did. Used my soldering iron to “glue” the pieces together. Has held up fairly well. Added some extra PETG at the joints. You can always cover it with carbon fiber because it isn’t super sexy with the glued joints. I used a soft / thick gasket type of material to give it some room for flex as it doesn’t bend like the deck. But the final shape can be whatever you want.

1 Like

Pics please!

2 Likes

Just came across this concept which I figured may be of interest to you

2 Likes

Thanks, I was thinking about that too. I wanted to make a plastic (printed) spring, but with a different design, only on one side of the battery

3 Likes

Work on the enclosure has started… description of the construction of a board with such a enclosure here

2 Likes

An esc enclosure sans hexagons. Need more reflective signage…

3 Likes