šŸŽ… Secret Santa 2022 ā€“ Over!

Iā€™m kinda sad I canā€™t participate since Iā€™m the one organizing :laughing:
Well, unless someone drops out and I have to fill the gap.

4 Likes

There are no gaps to fill since itā€™s a circle.

5 participants for example

A - b
B - c
C - d
D - e
E - A

2 Likes

Last time there was a situation where A ā†’ B ā†’ C

person B had to step out, but person A had already bought a gift for B that did not match what C would have wanted, so @Grozniy stepped in to replace B. Something like that.

5 Likes

Yea thatā€™s different.

In case someone drops out before gifts have been purchased then it doesnā€™t not matter, the circle will always close.

1 Like

Might be a good idea to post some information from last year. Stuff like how many people participated, how many dropped, etcā€¦ Just to give anyone new an idea on how well it went last time.

I like that you are taking a wishlist with the entries since it can be hard to look through peopleā€™s old posts depending on how many replies they have :ok_hand:

Also for stuff that wasnā€™t purchased is there any sort of guides on how to classify the value? :thinking: Specifically for if an item was made by the person since just counting the material cost would be lower than the actual value of the item. Iā€™m specifically talking about well made handmade items that could easily be sold and not subpar items that you can only give as a gift

3 Likes
2 Likes

I believe 3 out of the 60 people from 2019 dropped out which is a 5% dropout rate. Hence why the participation fee is set to ~5% of the expected gift value.

1 Like

I think you should compare to what similar such items sell for.

If itā€™s an enclosure then compare with other enclosures. A skinned deck, if done well, is usually well above 200$ so you should be good on that front. Then again, if the recipient dislikes the skinā€¦ then youā€™ve essentially just given them a deck, so consider what that would cost regularly.

If youā€™re unsure if the recipient will like the gift, then include some sweets so that at the very least they have that :laughing:

3 Likes

or just send them unobtainium, which value is practically out the window because u canā€™t even buy them anymore :rofl:

edit: whoever get me will get some fresh unobtainium :see_no_evil:

7 Likes

Whoever gets me is gonna get a buncha tires. All brand new, but tires nonetheless.

2 Likes

I was thinking more than just sk8 parts but I had a feeling someone might immediately think of enclosures :rofl:

When you custom make stuff that isnā€™t even available to buy it can be hard to put a price on it. Not saying I would do that but if something would work well as a gift and is not too hard to make then might as well :person_shrugging:

As an example, I made a pair of pants using a design that has been floating around online for a while but never actually made commercially. Some bad pants based on the design exist but the quality is crap. So you canā€™t even really say that the base price is what those pants cost since theyā€™re just not comparable. With an item like that it would be hard to price unless you kept track of the hours it took and material cost.

Only things I have that might be unobtainium are items that are also not desired :rofl: You canā€™t buy them either though so it isnā€™t incorrect to call them unobtainium.

1 Like

one manā€™s trash is another manā€™s treasure

2 Likes

Lol it really depends on the person, usually they seek out this treasure

1 Like

No, theyā€™re truly trash that I only donā€™t throw out since I might want to take it apart for some project in the future. Theyā€™re not even any good for esk8 use. Some of the unobtainium I have is also almost fully dissembled. Chips, resistors, capacitors, etcā€¦ all removed.

1 Like

Not sure if Iā€™ve been in the forum long enough to participate, but if I can count as a ā€œregularā€ Iā€™m in at standard tier!

1 Like

Hey Jamie! Sorry, but you might be one of the forumā€™s latest members :smile:
Stick around with us and youā€™ll be able to participate next year :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Yup! Rusins is just going off the status that the forum software ā€œDiscourseā€ gives users after theyā€™ve viewed/liked/interacted with things over time. Youā€™ve been a great addition for sure, and Iā€™m sure you will hit level 3 ā€œregularā€ status in 2-3 months or so. That also unlocks a new area of the forum!

To get to trust level 3, in the last 100 daysā€¦

• Must have visited at least 50% of days
  • Must have replied to at least 10 different non-PM topics
  • Of topics created in the last 100 days, must have viewed 25% (capped at 500)
  • Of posts created in the last 100 days, must have read 25% (capped at 20k)
  • Must have received 20 likes, and given 30 likes.*
  • Must not have received more than 5 spam or offensive flags (with unique posts and unique users for each, confirmed by a moderator)
  • Must not have been suspended or silenced in the last 6 months
5 Likes

Would I qualify? Im not really participating much because my knowledge is limited to give insight, but I do check in with the forum. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Unfortunately, no. If you look in your profile by clicking on yourself on this page, you can see that you are the role of ā€œmemberā€

Edit: Itā€™s rusins ting so his word goes

Youā€™ve been on the forum for over 2 years and I definitely recognize your face lol. I think you should be able to participate in the standard tier if you want :slight_smile:

If anyone else is unsure, do ask!

1 Like