🎅 Secret Santa 2022 – Over!

It’s that time of the year again! esk8.news secret santa! For those who don’t know how this works, in a nutshell:

Everyone gets assigned their own person to get a gift for. The other person does not know who is giving them the gift! Either by researching on the forum for what the person likes, or by their wishlist, you find something for the other person, include some local snacks and a hand-written letter perhaps, and send it off to them! Then you wait for your own gift to arrive :slight_smile:

Your trust level on the forum must be Regular to participate!

This year we are doing two price tiers! People will be matched with others within their price tier + based on their shipping preferences (international or not).

• Standard tier: 70 USD minimum gift value (excl. shipping)
  • Baller tier: 200 USD minimum gift value (excl. shipping)

If you are unsure, pick the standard tier and make someone really happy by going above and beyond! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

There will be a “lost gift fund” to which every participant pays into. (5$ for the standard tier, 15$ for the baller tier.) This money will be used to reimburse people who do not receive their gift. Leftovers will be donated to help fund esk8.news. (i.e. wired to Damon)

Here’s how to participate:

1. Read all of the rules below
  2. Send the participation fee (5$ or 15$ depending on tier) to me: (Click the arrow to see details)
Details
Wise or Paypal friends & family (if you have USD then send me USD):
raitis.krikis@gmail.com

Let's assume 1$ = 1€

EU payments:
Raitis Rusins Krikis
IBAN:
BE28 9670 1467 1820
BIC:
TRWIBEB1XXX

US payments:
Account holder
Raitis Rusins Krikis
Routing number
Account number
Account type
Checking
  1. Fill out the participation form by October 30th: REDACTED
  2. On November 1st every participant will receive a PM from me with the contact details of their gift recipient, along with their wishlist.
  3. Order and pack the gift(s)!
  4. Try to ship all the gifts out before December! Send me the tracking codes in PM so that I can forward them to the recipient.
  5. When you receive your gift(s), share your thank-yous and what you got in this thread! :smiley:

Additional guidelines:

• You must be a forum regular or long-time veteran (who once was a regular) to participate.
  • You cannot participate if you are from a country to which people cannot ship to due to sanctions / ongoing war. Sorry :frowning:
  • Use tracked shipping whenever possible. If you don’t and an item goes missing, you will be responsible and have to pay / resend it.
  • The gift does not have to be esk8 related! Especially if the other person is a vendor who has it all, think about other hobbies / interests they might have! Be creative!
  • You can totally order something online and have it shipped directly to your recipient!
  • The lost gift fund is used to reimburse those who sent gifts, but did not receive a gift of their own. Due to shipping delays / lost packages, such reimbursement will be done on or by March 1st 2023.
  • Remember that this is about giving! Don’t expect to receive expensive gifts, focus on making others happy!
  • Used items are allowed, but think hard and long about if your recipient would feel happy receiving something used. It better be pretty valuable or otherwise special. (Unobtainium?)
  • Don’t use this as an opportunity to offload your unwanted spare parts to someone else. (Unless they specifically asked for it on their wishlisht, of course.)
  • This is based on mutual trust. If you participate, your honor and reputation is at stake if you bail out or act in bad faith.
  • Message me ASAP if you suddenly have to drop out!!! Shit does happen, I’ll try to accommodate such situations best I can.

Please ask any questions / post any suggestions you have! :santa:

14 Likes

I feel like you have your work cut out for you starting this in October :sweat_smile:

Good luck!

3 Likes

nice, im in this year

1 Like

Im in!

2 Likes

I’m in

1 Like

I’m kinda sad I can’t participate since I’m the one organizing :laughing:
Well, unless someone drops out and I have to fill the gap.

4 Likes

There are no gaps to fill since it’s a circle.

5 participants for example

A - b
B - c
C - d
D - e
E - A

2 Likes

Last time there was a situation where A → B → C

person B had to step out, but person A had already bought a gift for B that did not match what C would have wanted, so @Grozniy stepped in to replace B. Something like that.

5 Likes

Yea that’s different.

In case someone drops out before gifts have been purchased then it doesn’t not matter, the circle will always close.

1 Like

Might be a good idea to post some information from last year. Stuff like how many people participated, how many dropped, etc… Just to give anyone new an idea on how well it went last time.

I like that you are taking a wishlist with the entries since it can be hard to look through people’s old posts depending on how many replies they have :ok_hand:

Also for stuff that wasn’t purchased is there any sort of guides on how to classify the value? :thinking: Specifically for if an item was made by the person since just counting the material cost would be lower than the actual value of the item. I’m specifically talking about well made handmade items that could easily be sold and not subpar items that you can only give as a gift

3 Likes
2 Likes

I believe 3 out of the 60 people from 2019 dropped out which is a 5% dropout rate. Hence why the participation fee is set to ~5% of the expected gift value.

1 Like

I think you should compare to what similar such items sell for.

If it’s an enclosure then compare with other enclosures. A skinned deck, if done well, is usually well above 200$ so you should be good on that front. Then again, if the recipient dislikes the skin… then you’ve essentially just given them a deck, so consider what that would cost regularly.

If you’re unsure if the recipient will like the gift, then include some sweets so that at the very least they have that :laughing:

3 Likes

or just send them unobtainium, which value is practically out the window because u can’t even buy them anymore :rofl:

edit: whoever get me will get some fresh unobtainium :see_no_evil:

7 Likes

Whoever gets me is gonna get a buncha tires. All brand new, but tires nonetheless.

2 Likes

I was thinking more than just sk8 parts but I had a feeling someone might immediately think of enclosures :rofl:

When you custom make stuff that isn’t even available to buy it can be hard to put a price on it. Not saying I would do that but if something would work well as a gift and is not too hard to make then might as well :person_shrugging:

As an example, I made a pair of pants using a design that has been floating around online for a while but never actually made commercially. Some bad pants based on the design exist but the quality is crap. So you can’t even really say that the base price is what those pants cost since they’re just not comparable. With an item like that it would be hard to price unless you kept track of the hours it took and material cost.

Only things I have that might be unobtainium are items that are also not desired :rofl: You can’t buy them either though so it isn’t incorrect to call them unobtainium.

1 Like

one man’s trash is another man’s treasure

2 Likes

Lol it really depends on the person, usually they seek out this treasure

1 Like

No, they’re truly trash that I only don’t throw out since I might want to take it apart for some project in the future. They’re not even any good for esk8 use. Some of the unobtainium I have is also almost fully dissembled. Chips, resistors, capacitors, etc… all removed.

1 Like

Not sure if I’ve been in the forum long enough to participate, but if I can count as a “regular” I’m in at standard tier!

1 Like