Safety gear recommendations?

I took a nasty fall yesterday and broke my helmet in the impact. It was a triple 8 sweatsaver. Unfortunately I also hurt my hip and can barely walk right now. I was wondering what kind of gear people are running? I have a downhill mtb helmet for when I’m going fast, and a half shell for lower speeds, I also use flatland3d gloves with the wrist braces. Other than that gear, what do you guys recommended?

3 Likes

I and lots of other people have lazyrolling armored hoodies/jackets/etc (i think they make pants now?)… they’re like regular clothes but the lining is kevlar and they have inserts for pads.
The hoodie is actually quite comfortable despite what you might think.

3 Likes

personally not a fan of the hoodie look, Got a Hawk motorcycle jacket, I fell on it w/o any other pads and while my elbo was bruised it healed after a week np.
I also wear mountain bike impact shorts with plastic on the hip/thighs and tailbone.

Love the jacket so ill link it. THe impact shorts are meh, they could use more padding

3 Likes

I got a Gogo Gear Los Angeles Armored Hoodie w/ Dupont™ Kevlar Fibers (Unisex) Size Small
for $80 if you’re interested.

Amazon or eBay impact shorts and align your wounds with the pads. Worked perfectly for me.

Revzilla does solid deals on padded vests that are nice for body falls.

1 Like

Don’t forget to protect your sit area somehow (crash pants). I neglected that with everything else padded with downhill mtb grade stuff and could not sit properly for about 3 months.

4 Likes

Other than helmet and gloves, which you seem to be set for, I go with the lightest weight motorcycle gear. A mesh jacket with elbow, shoulder, and back pad and armored jeans with knee and hip pads. I love these jeans - dirt cheap and comfortable enough to wear around all day if you wanted to.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07B2BNYD3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1&psc=1

I like the Hawk jacket that @Agressivstreetlamp posted and interested in options that fall between the hoodie look and aggressive motor cycle styling. Amazon links would get greatly welcome and if anyone is 6’, 210 lbs and has accurate sizing that would be very beneficial as well.

Thanks,

Kevin

2 Likes

That jacket is amazing bang/buck ratio. O feel like the black one is subtle ish
I’m 5’11" (6" on tinder) and like 190 and the jacket is on the loose size. I ordered a large. It has a liner that can be removed and I’ve worn the thing in hot and cold weather no problem. Tons of zippered vents.

2 Likes

Definitely like the look of these.

@Scepterr :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Hello, and sorry if I am hijacking your post😅 (I don’t mean to) Summer is nearing and I know I will be riding my board a lot more, like many others. Safety is a big topic.

I would also like some advice. I currently ride with $30 pads from a sport store. I don’t wear wrist guards because they make me feel less safe by crippling my mobility to the point of not having full control over throttle/breaks. Then I have a 10 year old street skating brain bucket. My brain bucket feels solid… But I don’t have confidence in it protecting me from hard impact.

Ultimately I would want a TSG Pass and an armor hoodie and solid knee pads and inserts for the hoodie… Just that buying all that in one go is something like $400? (I am in Europe, Sweden)

I know safety is most important, I don’t want to become another bad statistic for the press/community :sweat_smile:

Any suggestions on how I can get the best safety possible from what I have now. Ideally under $200 total. With the situation in the world right now I don’t have much money to spend. I personally have good income but need to be ready to help those around me that are more affected.

I appreciate light weight and easy to put on/off as the best safety equipment IMO is what ends up being used.

1 Like

Amazon has some decent armored hoodies. Also check out demon podium as a helmet. It’s light and I love it. If you want a face shield, the steelbird air has been growing on me. Doesn’t feel crazy thick but neither does a tsg. Super easy ratchet system and release for the chin strap, good air flow, power ranger look… Checks out.

I have this one and I like it (when it’s not too warm outside):

https://demonsnow.com/store/DS%201650%20Flex%20Force%20Pro%20top%20V2

I live in a hotter area, so I go with soft, breathable pads. I’m also more likely to wear it when it’s comfortable. My lazyrolling hoodie is great, but it’s too hot for half the year. Most of my gear is from a Leatt bought on closeout over the last few. Here are the most current versions:

Here are some really nice shorts from Leatt that are on closeout. It’s kind of a ridiculously low price for them.

1 Like

Lazyrolling hoodie w/ all pads
leatt GPX shorts
home made armored slide gloves
bell santion fullface
TSG DHP kneepads

Falling feels like jumping into a bed of pillows.

Edit: same shorts as the post above, great price @Fromualdez!

2 Likes

The demon podium seems like a great deal indeed, would probably order straight away if I was in USA… Amazon.com has it for $60 (used, but still), Amazon.de has it for $160, which is close to my entire budget, after import fees and taxes, that number jumps even higher. Sort of the same story with the steelbird, not finding any that ship to Sweden.

I have found some sub $100 armored hoodies though from your suggestion, that might be the way to go. Might even bite the bullet and up my budget though for a Lazyrolling hoodie seeing as they are made in Sweden, and good deals can be found locally. I always wear a hoodie when riding, so that feels like a natural way to go.

I am not in desperate need for new gear as I have pads and a helmet, although of course not ideal, better than those crazy enough to ride with no gear. But I am planning to buy at least something new safety wise soon.

Full face helmet 100% of the time.
i have
a full face helmet
elbow/forearm guards
wrist guards
knee pads

ate shit this week and found my hips not padded (ooof). seems I always fall on the spot that’s not padded, lol

Bell makes some solid helmets too. The one @taz got recently is nice.

@Fromualdez unfortunately those shorts are only size XXL. Killer deal though for someone that can rock them.