šŸ–¼ Reply to ā€œPictures and nothing elseā€ thread_2020_summer

I donā€™t know if there is a soft epoxy but from what I heard from boat builders, they use polyester for parts that needs to be rigid and epoxy for those that need some flex.

I didnā€™t expect table top epoxy to be cheaper than laminating epoxy here it is the other way around. I live on an island so lots of people use resin for boats or surfboards which is what sells the most compared to table top epoxy.

2 Likes

What I mean by ā€œsoftā€ is that perhaps they use less hardener? I know the less hardener you use, the softer the final product, butā€¦ It just doesnā€™t look like epoxy at all. It looks and feels like something else entirely, though I suppose I could be thrown off by the addition of additives, and colorants. Whatever Trampa is making their decks out of is almost so soft that I can dig my nails into it, but not quite. I had a Kaly deck come in the mail today, worlds of difference between how hard they are.

The Kaly deck feels like a monolithic piece of glass or ceramic, and it sounds like it when you knock on it, where as my Trampa decks are soo much softer.

1 Like

Ross
I love your work here!!

3 Likes

No point asking Frank what mixture they use but letā€™s see if we have more luck learning what type of resin @kaly uses. edit tho it may take a while before he sees this :laughing:
I kinda suspect the rigidity of the Kaly XL comes from the shape i.e the gas pedals more than the resin but I wouldnā€™t be surprised to be wrong.

1 Like

itā€™s in the layup and materialsā€¦
not the gas pedalsā€¦ and you can get a noodly kaly if ya really wannaā€¦

Cheers :call_me_hand::ok_hand::ok_hand::call_me_hand:

DIY chopped Tesseract, first esk8 Iā€™ve ridden, built for myself before Iā€™d ever been on one. HahA

7 Likes

The wings and the balsa wood giving it mass on the z axis (like an i-beam) coupled to the carbon. The wings concentrate the flex to the center of the board. Iā€™m really glad the board still flexes, but much stiffer than a Trampa.

1 Like

there is no balsa in a kaly
there is basalt

basalt is not a wood

1 Like

Those blue connectors are awesome. Iā€™ve got some for an upcoming build, but I have yet to field test them. Any problems?

1 Like

I thought he chose a balsa core?

Have you listened to the most recent podcast he was on?

XL Deck

Fully Synthetic construction using Carbon fiber, Basalt and fiberglass.

Perfect for shredding all type of terrain.

- Medium Flex: A carving paradise, for riders up to 190 pounds.

- Hard Flex: Full size riders territory, up to 240 pounds and the lighter speed demons.

1 Like

Been Ok so far

2 Likes

Iā€™m not referring to that. Iā€™m referring to the podcast in which he refers to using balsa as his core material- which is an industry standard.

To the best of my knowledge, ā€œCarbon fiber, Basalt and fiberglass.ā€ are not core materials, they are your laminationā€™s. I could be wrong. I know some people donā€™t use any core materials, but thatā€™s just silly when building anything structural- you need a core.

i think you sniff wayyyyyyyyy to much lead

3 Likes

Or, it could be I obsessively watch layup videos?

1 Like

So if someone wants a good one that doesnā€™t cost a million bux (West System 105) what would you recommend?

3 Likes

stop by here sometime:

and edumcate me

1 Like

Your deck uses a core. What is there to talk about?