🖼 Reply to “Pictures and nothing else” thread_2020_summer

:man_shrugging: the laminating epoxy that I use is reasonably cheap. Pretty sure my local supplier buys in bulk and rebrands it so unless you are in Australia, my source isn’t really gonna help. But in any case, I use the 500 series epoxy from www.trojanfibreglass.com.au

Not all epoxies are made equal, they are all formulated differently for different purposes. I think that using a product outside of its spec is asking for trouble…

Your best bet would be to shop around locally, or even ask boat builders / panel shops what they use :man_shrugging:

4 Likes

Its a Janux sealed belt drive. Last i heard Janux was closing his doors tho

7 Likes

That sux.

@Boardnamics was also working on one, and I think @Trampa makes one as well.

@Janux-esk8 may have some if you ask

2 Likes

Certainly looks a lot like the Twintex composite (swear I read this somewhere here). Seems to come as a prepeg, so who knows what epoxy is actually used. Trampa themselves may not even know.

4 Likes

super special aircraft grade prepreg you mean

2 Likes

I’ve been assuming it was like a 21oz woven roving.

You may very well have the fabric nailed. That looks exactly like it.

hmm.

That sux I have some of his pulley and want to get some of his kegal mount AT wheels.

1 Like

I would be very surprised if their manufacturer was not using prepreg

2 Likes

NASA grade you mean

1 Like

Yup.
Woops it’s not aircraft grade, it is ‘military’ grade. :rofl:

2 Likes

Yep my first batch was from a local supplier off eBay was garbage followed the directions to the letter, it’s still left a sticky residue and was brittle a mate who is a boaty recons it is old stock, then I tried west systems. Brilliant super transparent low bubbles easy to work with but expensive. I just started working with trojan also as good but more prone to bubbles, nothing heatgun won’t fix. Watched a but load of youtube as well as stalked @glyphiks insta… I am no expert but my latest effort didn’t make me projectile vomit.

4 Likes

The stories are where the magic happens :joy: but i post most of the photos here anyway

2 Likes

It’s not even CF though. I haven’t heard about pre-preg GF before.

Basalt and GF probably

2 Likes

Does basalt melt like plastic? Someone said that it melts if you are not careful cutting those decks.

Potters trying to get back in the game, but maxfire fuck bro. Have some dignity.

3 Likes

Not kool unless you got bingo m8

2 Likes