šŸ–¼ Reply to ā€œPictures and nothing elseā€ thread_2020_summer

edit: (I think Iā€™m wrong- I had initially thought laminating epoxy was nearly double the cost, and itā€™s just not.)

I just donā€™t think thereā€™s going to be enough of a difference to justify the cost of structural (laminating epoxy*) epoxy- I think itā€™s mostly a myth anyhow.

I think the industry just expects people who do layups to be making money hand over fist, as opposed to people who pour tables, which a lot of people do just as a hobby.

Itā€™s all about how well it bonds to your material. I read some reviews on Amazon in which lots of people were getting good results doing fiberglass layups with tabletop epoxy.

Does anyone have any idea what Trampa uses in their decks? Itā€™s like a soft epoxy.

1 Like

I have been interested in using tabletop epoxy for topcoat when CF skinning things. Keen to see results if you use it for laminating. Post pics.

I have only used West 105/207 epoxy.

Everyone makes their own calls. What is your time worth, and how does that tally up with a possible small compromise on material (or tool) costs?

2 Likes

You would make us all jealousā€¦ itā€™s ok :laughing:

1 Like

I donā€™t mind the potential to get something wrong if the results are worth it if Iā€™m right.

A battery enclosure isnā€™t a structural component to begin with, and fiberglass, even at 50% of itā€™s full strength, is still incredibly strong.

What is the concern? That objects will more easily pierce the enclosure?

Iā€™ve been slowly collecting everything I need to start doing layups. Iā€™ll be using s-glass.

edit: my fingers have their own brain which is in direct opposition to my main brain.

1 Like

Iā€™ll have you know its called THE NETHERLANDS MAā€™AM

1 Like

No concern bro. Iā€™m no epoxy strength expert.
For me, given the time involved, it makes sense to use the right, good quality products (or tools) from the outset.

1 Like

Iā€™m going to do some reading and see if I can figure out the technical differences.

Okay, the biggest difference Iā€™ve discovered so far is: laminating epoxy is much thinner than tabletop epoxy, and as such much easier to wet out the material.

So, I should have never said ā€œstructural epoxyā€, as it differs from laminating epoxy.

How easily your material wets out is incredibly important, so perhaps I should just abandon the tabletop epoxy idea. Bummer.

Who has the cheapest gallons of laminating epoxy?

What about a custom piece for the PuffCo Peak? :wink:

2 Likes

I believe another difference is the setup time. Laminating resins have variations on setting times. The table top epoxy isnā€™t being de-gassed, but still needs to set clear. By being thin and having a long cure time most of the bubbles have a chance to burst.

2 Likes

I do have to buy an iPhone now just for the SC app. So tick that box

1 Like

Indeed.

This seems like a good deal: https://www.carbonfiberglass.com/Resin-Systems/Laminating-Epoxy-Systems/Laminating-Epoxy-System-Slow-Gallon-Resin-1-2-Gallon-Hardener.html

I just took my wifeā€™s old iPhone XR :joy:

2 Likes

Stop it, get some help.

The only iPhone is my house is my 6 year Olds iPhone 6S I would have better luck trying to take a pork chop from a lion.

2 Likes

I donā€™t know if there is a soft epoxy but from what I heard from boat builders, they use polyester for parts that needs to be rigid and epoxy for those that need some flex.

I didnā€™t expect table top epoxy to be cheaper than laminating epoxy here it is the other way around. I live on an island so lots of people use resin for boats or surfboards which is what sells the most compared to table top epoxy.

2 Likes

What I mean by ā€œsoftā€ is that perhaps they use less hardener? I know the less hardener you use, the softer the final product, butā€¦ It just doesnā€™t look like epoxy at all. It looks and feels like something else entirely, though I suppose I could be thrown off by the addition of additives, and colorants. Whatever Trampa is making their decks out of is almost so soft that I can dig my nails into it, but not quite. I had a Kaly deck come in the mail today, worlds of difference between how hard they are.

The Kaly deck feels like a monolithic piece of glass or ceramic, and it sounds like it when you knock on it, where as my Trampa decks are soo much softer.

1 Like

Ross
I love your work here!!

3 Likes

No point asking Frank what mixture they use but letā€™s see if we have more luck learning what type of resin @kaly uses. edit tho it may take a while before he sees this :laughing:
I kinda suspect the rigidity of the Kaly XL comes from the shape i.e the gas pedals more than the resin but I wouldnā€™t be surprised to be wrong.

1 Like