Radium 6485 & 6455 Motors

Have you done any tests on the advantages of N38EH mangets vs N42SH? I order my motors with the N38EH magnet due to its higher temp tolerance, but I am not sure if there is much advantage since our motors don’t ever really heat up to those levels.

1 Like

Maybe they don’t but at least that means you could ignore the normal 100C vesc temp limit and just slam your motors to no end without worry

Default motor temp cutoff is like 80 I think, hottest I’ve ever gotten my FS is 74

1 Like

Yes I agree. I change my motor temp cut offs to start at 120c and end at 150. The hottest I ever got any motor was some TB63100s on 18s, got them to 134c and they still seem to be working fine today. My reachers have never heated up past 80c. Even the 150c rating is overkill, but I think if you were to actually get the motors hot hot, into the 100c and higher maybe at that point you would see the advantage of the higher grade magnet as it would do a better job at retaining its magnetic properties.

2 Likes

Damn, those look good, next build, if there ever will be one :sweat_smile:
Ps, @Tony_Stark could you change default currency for iceland to usd, or isk if thats possible

2 Likes

This is way too hot. Even though the magnets and stator windings may be able to handle such temperatures, the epoxy holding the magnets in place would likely degrade. The bearings may also not be happy at these temperatures. I’m not sure what temp the grease is rated to, but since the bearings generate their own heat, if the stator is already at 100C, the bearings could be another 30 degrees or more ontop of that. So I’m not surprised Reacher says dont exceed 100C. I would set my cutoff to 90 start and 100 end, regardless of magnet grade. The temperature rating of the magnets is also more complicated than it appears. The temperature rating is only one part of the equation, the other part being the field strength acting on the magnet. If you take a 180C rated magnet and supply a sufficient magnetic field, you could begin to permanently demagnetise it at even 100C. So higher temp ratings are always better, but cost can increase quite considerably with the temp rating. The magnets are about 30% of the overall cost of these motors.
We’ve got 1 set of motors coming with some different magnets to test out on this batch. With the hope of achieving even higher torque without messing up FOC performance.

8 Likes

Could you elaborate on this please? What kind of issues? Is someone from Lacroix like @Blasto aware?
That’s the exact motor + ESC combination (60D+) I was planning on

5 Likes

Uh oh, me too. Would lowering the max ERPM fix it?

1 Like

Stuttering and some DRV faults, We are investigating with lacroix, all the DRV faults were really weird (Low voltage drops) and in the end it could have not been due to the motors.

3 Likes

I only thought of that after I swapped the motors, and was too lazy to try again. I also lowered my motor amps so that could be what fixed the issue. I think @Tony_Stark thought because the 245kv are power hungry the amp draw was too much for the stormcore (was at 100a per side)

3 Likes

Did the stuttering happen on low speed? Or riding as per normal?

4 Likes

Mid acceleration, between 15 and 25kph I’d say

2 Likes

Nope because its not an erpm issue from what I gather. The only thing I can think is that the lower resistance of the coils in a higher kv motor will be wanting to pull more current from the battery all the time and if the stormcore isn’t reacting fast enough it will trigger ABS overcurrent which is the fault that Duncan was seeing. On the board @Mbrady built for Zach it appeared to be a step or 10 further than ABS overcurrent with the 100D totally spazzing out making screaming noises and stuff until it was powered off. Lots of overcurrent faults recorded. Still waiting to hear back from someone at Lacroix on whether settings can be adjusted to solve this or if its just a hardware limitation. But for now thats why I’ve added a list on our website with “normal kv” and “racing” kv recommendation for each voltage, and to not use Stormcore for the racing kv.

12 Likes

This is exactly what’s happening to me on my Lonestar SuperSport (LSSS). Lacroix has been working with me in narrowing down the issue cross fingers

5 Likes

is this with the stock 6389 or radium motors?

I’d like to pick up the some low kv radiums as my stock ones have decent milage but i’m hesitant on switching anything up as i’ve had zero issues with my LSSS

I had no issues with the 205Kv on stormcore, they were awesome (except for the sensors but that’s been fixed on V2)

3 Likes

And we’re up to V3 now with further improvements :grin:

3 Likes

Are yours basically the same as these?

Quite a few improvements over those specific ones

One of my favorite is that the back of the can no longer wants to slice your fingers off

5 Likes

Lol, they are wicked sharp

3 Likes

You can read about some of the improvements we’ve made here:

2 Likes