Puck battle hardening / Potentiometer shit / Discussion of pros & cons (serious)

Moving this whole discussion to a new thread.

If you step out of line, GOD AS MY WITNESS, I will flag the shit out of your posts.

10 Likes

I’ve had no issues with my puck so far, but I did epoxy my pot as soon as I got it. I’m now on my third puck case because I’m good at eating the pavement lol, I have not been gentle.

3 Likes

While hot glue is a temporary solution to a permanent problem I think you should know where my loyalties lie
IMG_1063

3 Likes

5 Likes

I’ve been a fan of the high-heat hot-glue repair for this one.

3 Likes

Someone needs to make a drop in hall sensor for it like @3DServisas did for the VX4

2 Likes

I was thinking the same thing. Wouldn’t be overly simple but probably not impossible either.

Epoxy turns rubbery with heat. You can probably use a hot air station to soften the epoxy and remove it. Yes the pcb is also made of epoxy but probably higher temp and the copper should wick away the heat enough that the added epoxy should soften first. Worth a try if you have already written it off.

The z-mote guy talked about having potentiometer issues with his prototypes and ended up using one that was rated for like a million cycles. You could check the part number of the Hoyt one and see what it is rated for and try to find a similar one with a longer estimated life

Throttle gave me a bit of a trouble as well. I didn’t want to use hall sensor because they are hard to get it just right and the output values are sometimes jumpy which is not ideal. I turned my attention to potentiometers but again most of the products are rated for 10-20K turn lifecycles. I found 2-3 products which are just right and rated for 1KK(1million) turn lifecycle and they are incredibly steady.

FWIW the hall sensor throttle on vesc wand is terrible and imo unusable.

3 Likes

Unfortunately, when I said epoxy, I meant JB weld. I don’t see any hope of getting the potentiometer off without mass destruction. :confused:

Isn’t that JB weld conductive?

Are you not Dremel Evan?? :rofl:

Not sure which JB Weld you used, but seems like max temp is 150C so it probably hits the glass transition temperature just above that. Still colder than solder so I think it has a chance of working. I mean what will realistically get damaged? The pot? It’s already coming off…

2 Likes

No, standard JB weld is an insulator.

JB weld is remarkably heat tolerant. People use it on engine repairs.

I used the standard JB weld (not extra heat or whatever)

This is what I could find:

• Maximum Application Temperature - 120 °F
  • Maximum Performance Temperature - 550 °F

I already replaced the puck, but I’ll see what I can do with an old soldering iron tip and a heat gun.

1 Like

Ah Im mistaken. I thought the dark grey jbweld was the high tensile one that had steel in it. I guess the colors are meaningless

Looks like the “kwik” cure stuff is 300F (150C), but the original long cure formula is 550F (287C).

2 Likes

Me and my friends here all own the hall sensor Wand and we have never had issues/false signals.

Say all you want but I’m happy I got this instead of the puck…

Well that’s a fascinating question. Depending on what’s available on these pads

you could build a drop-in hall replacement.

But I think the issue is that Hoyt would have to be willing to adapt the firmware to the output curve of the HALL. I’m not sure they’d be willing to do that.

Doesn’t engage until 1/4 throttle and backs off at full throttle. Very short throw. Overall poor tuning of the hall sensor throttle.

Did you ever find a fix for this?

You can replace the silicone pads with bigger ones.

You won’t notice this little indent on your riding though.

1 Like

This is fact

Snip & dremel off what you can 1st? :man_shrugging: