Hoyt Puck - New Firmware - Beta Testers Wanted! [SERIOUS]

I need to visit someone with a PC. I only have a mac because i’m a basic bitch.

1 Like

EleanorBasicGIF

You’re in luck though, because barring any unforeseen issues we are going to start shipping this new firmware on all Pucks starting very soon. So everyone will get the zoomy throttle curve, right out of the box.

And yes, this means we are going to have to sit down and update all ~400 pucks we have in stock, one by one :joy:

4 Likes

Been loving the new firmware. No issues at all

1 Like

Did have a one-off issue. Not sure if its due to the new firmware.

We were doing mach one acceleration tests, both boards had pucks on new fw. One board was sitting idle for about 10min with remote off while we were doing drag runs on the other board.

Very strangely on one of the runs at the exact moment William stabbed the throttle on his board, mine took off and decided to lock on full throttle. Luckily it hit a grass patch and started doing donuts (I swear our boards just to want to be sideways all the time).

Once I turned my remote back on it stopped and worked as normal and has never happened again. Very strange and probably something to check over but not be too concerned about…

Another big issue is the potentiometer mounting. Nothing has still been done to address the fact that the pots are only mechanically held by mission critical solder pads which easily crack if the remote is dropped resulting in full throttle lock.

See video below where one of our brand new pucks gets stuck on full throttle after a fall.

I was unable to repair this puck because the solder pads had seperated from the fiberglass.

I’ve heard of people having pretty full on crashes, even one with a Lacroix board being snapped in half because the remote got stuck on full throttle while the guy was riding and the board hit a tree at high speed. That guy took the remote apart for me and the solder joins on the pot had cracked while he was riding as I had suspected. This was years ago.

There are plenty of people using these remotes that are unaware of this safety issue. I know all it takes to fix is a bit of epoxy around the potentiometer and we just did that for the first batch of Mach One’s.

But its going to be pretty annoying to have to pull apart and carefully glue 100 brand new remotes next year I do feel like this is something that should have been addressed a long time ago.

Because this critical safety flaw is fixable I still don’t trust any other remotes over the Puck. It’s the most reliable remote out there after that fix is applied. But please Hoyt fix this issue so we don’t have to keep modifying your remotes to keep our customers and the people they ride around safe. Would not be a good look for eskate if a child got taken out by a 17kg eboard hitting them stuck at full 10,000W throttle.

14 Likes

Now u’d wish u had a chinese labor doing all the work for u :joy:

You guys t-racing there?

Yeah we were for like an hour then spent the rest of the night going sideways :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

Lol no times?

1 Like

Nevermind I think there could be a bug.
Just got back from a ride with William and he had a stack because he was braking for the corner that I just made ahead of him and his board went from braking to full throttle at the same time I applied my throttle.

Couldn’t recreate it afterwards. We rode for about an hour after that.

Super weird and scary😟

It might not be the puck but we’ve never had this prior to changing remote firmware. It really seems like one receiver is getting signals from the other remote. But its happened once for each board now.

I assume most people here are riding alone so be good to have confirmation from people that ride together with both remotes on new fw.

1 Like

I’ve done tons of riding with multiple pucks on this FW in Portland for months before this post was made and never had an issue like what you’re describing.

@SquishyCat and I rode together almost daily with the new FW up until the day I Ieft

Anecdotal I know

4 Likes

I wonder if it has something to do with channel hopping - like they both hop to the same channel just for an instant. That would be really hard to reproduce because you’d need to cause a channel hop to happen on both remotes.

I guess the good news is that if it didn’t exhibit this before the FW update then it’s fixable.

We all know the real rason for the firmware update being rolled out as a general release – so esk8unity can stop complaining about “out of the box” VESC-based controller / puck responsiveness :rofl:

1 Like

That would be odd because nothing related to the radio was touched. Only throttle curves.

1 Like

Two possibilities I guess, either 1) the bug has always been there and this daylighted it, or 2) the user unknowingly twisted the throttle to full during the crash. I admit I’ve accidentally twisted the throttle to full while putting the remote in my pocket to put my gloves on or removing it from my pocket after.

Although the simultaneity of the event descriptions (one guy twists, the other guy goes) is an interesting datapoint.

I would guess that you guys don’t have access to the channel hopping code anyway.

Ok thats good. Its possible it was an existing issue, or not caused by the puck.

With current reciever placement reception is so bad that remote disconnects standing more than a meter from the board. I suspect this is causing a lot of channel hopping and significantly increased the chance of hopping onto the same channel as the other reciever. This still shouldn’t be an issue because there should be a unique ID each time remotes are paired.

We’ll relocate our recievers for better reception and see what happens🤞

3 Likes

There is

20 posts were merged into an existing topic: Hoyt Puck sending full brake/reverse signals

can I just re-confirm this is the right file? Bitdefender auto-scanned and deleted it, and doesn’t match the file size stated - (317 KB)

1 Like

That doesn’t look correct. I would suggest deleting that, turning off bitdefender, and re-downloading the file.

1 Like

Security: unblock, probably missreporting size.