Public chat - talk about everything with everyone

Don’t tell them about the poop knife

4 Likes

Nah bro that’s a trade secret

@JAYKUP
SERIOUS SAM
that’s been bothering me for many moons.

2 Likes

I’m looking for a new laptop, hoping people can guide me in the right direction.

• I want a 360 foldable 13-14" laptop, because I read a lot of books, and having the keyboard in the way when I’m in bed or on a plane or train annoys me quite a lot. Can’t do a tablet or e-reader because I do type a lot too.
  • Fanless would be amazing, but I don’t know if that’s a feature on x86 laptops, and I don’t think desktop linux is that great on arm.
  • Bright screen! High refresh rate would be also cool.
  • Long battery life! Hoping for something with Intel 12th gen for those efficiency cores.
  • Integrated GPU. Switching a dedicated GPU off can be a massive pita on linux, I don’t want to bother with that. I don’t game on my laptop anyway. The lighter the better.

Any recommendations? So far the dell XPS 2-in-1 is at the top of my list, but it’s pretty old now :frowning: Maybe DIY a custom chasis for the framework laptop? lol

1 Like

unpopular opinion here but I’ve been loving running linux on a chromebook. satisfies all of your requirements except low performance, but if you have a desktop rig just stream games from that. I can even do some light CAD and 3DP slicing on here

True desktop linux is a pretty big requirement for me unfortunately, but thanks for recc.

Would be ironic af if my phone ran ubuntu while my laptop ran chrome OS :laughing:

1 Like

some chromebooks can actually run full linux. and they’re cheap.

1 Like

Oh wow, you’re right

I’ll look into that, thanks!
(I do fear stuff like graphics acceleration for youtube and wifi drivers would be a PITA, which I’d like to avoid though :sweat: )

2 Likes

Check out the new framework laptop.

2 Likes

@Fosterqc ahh, I though you meant an actual FRC swerve module for some reason. How does having a battery onboard the module reduce the mechanical part count of the module?

1 Like

Without that idea of a battery rotating on the module you would need a random assortment of bevel gears or something for coaxial driving, that or a slip ring but those are kind of annoying though reasonable solution.

The least number of parts not already sold by trampa was what I was thinking of.

Actual FRC legal drivetrain would probably need quite a few new parts made, I’m thinking they probably would rather not create them.

This brings back my ideas on making RC cars using esk8 drivetrain parts.

1 Like

The best part is always the part you eliminated from the system… You don’t need to make it, it can’t brake and doesn’t need any service. On top that it doesn’t consume raw material and energy to make and transport and finally recycle one day.

RC-cars with eSkate tech are really nice. One of them is on 2 x VESC 6 MKV and 2x 6376 motors.

1 Like

This calculator is helpful:

… though it’s a bit annoying that some pulley teeth counts cannot be selected. Is there a better belt length calculator somewhere?

2 Likes

I use this one

yes

4 Likes

That one is perfect. Thanks!

1 Like

someone I know is asking me to do a VESC upgrade on their scooter. the only spec I can find for the battery is it’s 60V, so I guess that means it’s 15S? I was thinking of getting him the MakerX HI100 as that should be more than enough for his use case. Should I consider another VESC? cost isn’t really an issue as much as shipping time and availability and of course specs.

Welcome to ebike jive

You’re going to have to put a multimeter on it after you charge it

I figured. I really hate ebike battery jive.

BuT aLl ReTaIlErS uSe It

it’s still just poor communication no matter what the excuse.

1 Like

penis

2 Likes