Production EV Battery Thread (SERIOUS)

I think there is a lot for us (esk8) to learn about battery pack construction from the EV industry. Battery pack design is constantly improving and evolving as there are more company’s researching battery construction techniques.

The goal of this thread is to be a place to post pictures and discuss construction techniques being used in production battery packs. Hopefully this can help us improve the design and safety of our bigger packs.

To get started i wanted to post some pictures of a few interesting battery packs or modules that i have found.

17 Likes

These are a battery modules from a JOHAMMER electric motorbike.

These cells are laser welded in place, a process that seems to be gaining popularity in mas produced battery packs.

These modules are then stacked into a larger frame to build a complete pack.

14 Likes

looks like newer versions of these cell modules have the negative nickel run to the top front edge of the block and the positive terminal run to the back to facilitate easy connection when stacking.

8 Likes

how does laser welding compare to your standard spot welder?

This is an interesting pack that uses large copper conductors to carry current, and uses small nickel strips to connect each cell to the conductor.

10 Likes

I think its easier to do on the production line as you can do many welds very quickly without overheating copper probes. Its also much easier to get different weld shapes depending on the mechanical properties needed.

as this is a relatively new technology it doesn’t look like there is a standardized weld pattern yet.

here is some examples of laser welds:

it also allows new pack construction methods where both positive and negative terminals are connected to the same end of the cell

12 Likes

and how much do they cost
are they viable for a standard guy who builds 50 packs

I dont think its viable yet but maybe in the future.

1 Like

This is an interesting pack found on twitter using a large PCB and cell level fusing

6 Likes

at 90mm high by 200mm wide this aluminium extrusion looks like it could be perfect for top mount battery packs. Keen to find out where we could source extrusions like this if anyone knows.

8 Likes

very complex ebike battery for the BMZ 3Tron. It uses 10s4p 21700 in small 2s4p blocks which are spot welded together.

3 Likes

I’ve seen some sellers on Ali offer custom lengths for extrusions like this… let me try to dig one out…

2 Likes

Hm, I have access to a laserwelder…deffo gonna try it :smiley:

1 Like

EM3ev are making some great ebike battery’s. The owner stared as a DIY guy and now has his own factory in china.

Their packs are generally made from 2 custom cell holders and use cell level fusing. BMS is also integrated into the cell holder.

They use the same construction method anywhere up to these huge 14s14p packs.

Their older packs were glued into shape however they are moving towards to using the custom cell holders on all their packs.

They even have some brick packs which use a double stack construction method.

I find it surprising how thin the cell holder material is to get enough rigidity to hold the cells in place. I would love to know what material it is they are using for these.

Whilst i cant stand BrunoPOWEEER his video tour of the EM3ev factory is fantastic insight into how ebike packs are produced. Well worth a watch.

2 Likes

Cool. There must be extrusions like this that already exist, the hard part is finding a company who already makes something suitable.

laser soldering is pretty sweet too

yeah. i think the process of laser tab welding is a little different but equally as awesome.

Laser_Welding_NB-109C101_Battery_Tab_and_Can_by_AMADA_MIYACHI_AMERICA

ns_Battery_Welding_using_the_redENERGY_G4_200W_Pulsed_Fiber_Laser

10 Likes

This is the LUNA Wolf pack.
They are using custom cell holders with gold plated PCB for series and parallel connections. This pcb also includes balance wires which are routed back to the bms which is mounted on the top.

The cells are wire bonded to the PCB and the entire pack is cast in resin allowing it to be fully waterproof.

other interesting point is that it looks like the BMS is printed on a flex pcb to conform the the mounding shape

3 Likes

As well as backpacks. :laughing:

1 Like

I’m truly interested in this, because if we can make them as safe as Tesla, then no worries carrying Li-Ion battery packs on your back.