Production EV Battery Thread (SERIOUS)

Like why don’t we make 20S20P (or 10S40P) battery packs out of smaller (say 1000mAh) cells, use cell level fusing, and make use of “massive” parallelism to make up for amps?

1 Like

Usually larger cells are better for energy density. Bigger cells have a larger volume to surface area ratio, meaning more actual battery chemistry per amount of casing material.

This is why many EV’s are tending towards 21700. I expect when even larger cells become economical to produce we will shift to those as well.

3 Likes

Not always true e.g. Headway 40152S 20S1P 15Ah vs A123 ANR26650M1B 20S6P 15Ah, the Headway pack is ~500g heavier and has less Amp output. It is mostly true though.

1 Like

There is a guy who modified a tatoo removal tool from ebay to a laser welder https://www.flickr.com/photos/andrewsharmon/albums/72157712307022683

those welds looks so cool…I was thinking about rebuilding it and trying to use it to create a battery pack then I remembered I know nothing about lasers so I guess I leave the experimenting to someone who actually knows what happening :smiley:

8 Likes

Found this interesting open source pack design called DKblock

DKblock is an open source 2s10p module that can be joined together into larger battery packs

Uploadiimage ng: image.png…

The pack uses 2 identical cell holders made from polycarbonate ABS (PC-ABS) thermoplastic polymer blend called Makrolon 6485 which is UL94 rated for high temperatures and flammability.

There is then a spring loaded top and bottom plate which is screwed on with the cell holder to form a weld free battery pack.

Custom BMS is also attached on the end of the pack.

11 Likes

Oooohhh i like this one. This isn’t beyond the realms of DIY

2 Likes

I have a big commercial grade boss laser in storage I should try this with

1 Like

This pack is beautiful!

I’ll try to look for those spring loaded smd connectors.

They appear to be custom made.

4 Likes

i feel like 12A for 30 seconds is enough for esk8 in larger P packs.

4 Likes