Problem with Slick Revolution/iWonder Cloud Wheels (SERIOUS)

I have the blue ones dyed black. Love them.
But I am looking to mix it up…

Ya :wink:

1 Like

They are not. But they are not dead like 107s, either. If I had never ridden 110s, I would be happy with them as my main wheel. I don’t know what new Boas are like, though.

1 Like

@jeffwuneo.
Jeff. You seem to know a lot about manufacturing.
What do you think of this crazy idea of filling the clouds abec core with epoxy to add strength?

No. It won’t helping because is still have material stress. Maybe micro fracture in plastic.

2 Likes

Here is another one for ABEC 11 wheel :

From the title said the bad bearing caused the melt core of wheel,it is more terrible but compare with Cloudwheel core,i believe the material Cloudwheel using was already top level,what do you guys think ?

I think :fish: Who are you?

I am just a Cloudwheel user and i love them a lot !! Just saw what you guys discussed here, i was worried about if the cracks happen to mine…luckily mine are fine ,however i did search a lot about similar cases exist before,interested in this topic and that’s why i am here,so what about you,mate ?

I think the extra material will still help against catastrophic wheel separation. Even if the 5 spokes crack, a solid filled core will have to completely separate, otherwise the problem can be caught instead of catching by surprise

So if these issues are legit (and happen in more widespread scenarios), will this carry over to their new 105mm or could they be different due to a wider contact patch, better materials etc?

Also, does anyone know when they plan to release the 105mm?

I knocked this thread up on Reddit due to the safety concerns. Here’s one of the replies:

"Known issue, its due to the core bearing crushed if you overtighten the nut. Or use “bad spacers” the spacers built into the bearings as an example is slightly to small so you brush the core.

Factory knows it, but sadly already thousands of wheels have been made."

4 Likes

A couple other interesting replies, with one claiming that some newer clouds have upgraded cores. Interesting.

4 Likes

Way to go Bill! I hope this draws more awareness and prevents further accidents.

As far as spacers goes, I have never used the stocked ones. Only bones reds with built in spacers.

I have ordered some tb 110s. Super curious to see how these ride but since I’m currently riding at 85mm anything is an improvement.
I also grab some boardnamics 220 hangers since they were on sale.

This is now very curious. Both wheels posted in here that failed used integrated spacers. Not to mention the first thing I noticed when I got the wheels was that the spacer that came with it seemed off on dimensions. I think the core may be juuuust out of spec enough that built in spacers is too short?

Spacer is the iwonder spacer. Its exactly the same size as what’s produced with the bones bearing.

I saw that they posted a comment on their shop blog.

7 Likes

The core took an impact that flattened it but did not crack. Interesting. Also the vibration test looks exactly like riding over stupid road reflectors lmao

1 Like

Soo the hub got bent in that impact test without heat being factored in
So yeah wouldn’t trust that hub.

Why is your hub heating up? If your bearings are getting hot from a few hundred/mid 1k RPMs, that’s some crap bearings. They should be lukewarm at best under extreme non-stop stress at those temps. Also that looks like a 5kg impact test directly to the core, with urethane factored in, that kind of impact would be like a square edge pothole hit at an insanely high speed, and it shows the material is capable of drastic plastic deformation before cracking. These tests don’t show at all why the bearing seats are cracking…

I still suspect cold temperature may be play here. I would like to see that impact test again after the core sat in a freezer for an hour… Also again with bearings pressed in and tightened down on an axle

2 Likes