Problem with Slick Revolution/iWonder Cloud Wheels (SERIOUS)

I have ordered some tb 110s. Super curious to see how these ride but since I’m currently riding at 85mm anything is an improvement.
I also grab some boardnamics 220 hangers since they were on sale.

This is now very curious. Both wheels posted in here that failed used integrated spacers. Not to mention the first thing I noticed when I got the wheels was that the spacer that came with it seemed off on dimensions. I think the core may be juuuust out of spec enough that built in spacers is too short?

Spacer is the iwonder spacer. Its exactly the same size as what’s produced with the bones bearing.

I saw that they posted a comment on their shop blog.

7 Likes

The core took an impact that flattened it but did not crack. Interesting. Also the vibration test looks exactly like riding over stupid road reflectors lmao

1 Like

Soo the hub got bent in that impact test without heat being factored in
So yeah wouldn’t trust that hub.

Why is your hub heating up? If your bearings are getting hot from a few hundred/mid 1k RPMs, that’s some crap bearings. They should be lukewarm at best under extreme non-stop stress at those temps. Also that looks like a 5kg impact test directly to the core, with urethane factored in, that kind of impact would be like a square edge pothole hit at an insanely high speed, and it shows the material is capable of drastic plastic deformation before cracking. These tests don’t show at all why the bearing seats are cracking…

I still suspect cold temperature may be play here. I would like to see that impact test again after the core sat in a freezer for an hour… Also again with bearings pressed in and tightened down on an axle

2 Likes

I guess you can’t test everything on a factory test jig, and it’s good to see some testing happening but some off-axis impact and vibration testing would recreate more of what happens in real life. Very unlikely to ever experience bearings or core failure riding in a straight line.

1 Like

I think the failure sample size is too small. At first I thought maybe plastic fatigue, since PC fatigues faster over time than nylon, but the cracking on nearly new wheels throws that out. PC also has better impact resistance than nylon, so it might not be from getting hit either. If it was simply because of tensile strength, we would be seeing more break while being pushed hard like during hard cornering or acceleration, not just cruising around, so it’s not material strength. Which leaves temperature and maybe damage from bolt on pulleys. and/or bad batch/bad tolerance/qc

So I should use press fit pulley with cloudwheels not the bolt on version? I haven’t ridden them yet but I did plan to use the bolt on version and I have a pair of press fit pulleys on the way.

Bolt on is definitely not going to help the case, Press fit pulleys are much easier on the core because they apply rotational force, no lateral pull from belt tension because the pulley itself is supported.

2 Likes

I saw that post as well, and into the freeze test maybe it continue for several hours,you can see the small drops of water there. But anyway i was suprised for their official respon of this issue.
To be honest i saw many other companies were avoid in such incidents oftenly…

2 Likes

I sent them an email asking if they may consider switching to nylon/GF cores. That would help bring the wheel into the same performance level as alternatives. Hopefully if they do end up coming out with a 140mm as rumored, they will consider bumping up their quality from hobby grade to performance grade.

3 Likes

Hey Andrew-

I bumped your account so you can post and message without limits.

Welcome!

Hey guys, iWonder have posted a response to this broken Cloudwheels situation, link here

1 Like

What’s the response? Can only see it if you have a account with them

1 Like

Pleas take the pic from above of the other cases and reply to there quote of this is a 1 of case

Out right denial of all other cases is just a excuse to every things done no point in doing any thing to investigate.

Ah I didn’t notice that Alex has posted the same thing earlier…my bad :sweat_smile:

For those that dont have the bookface.

9 Likes

Yeah but it’s Sawyer… Which company has he not talked shit about so far? hmmmm…

3 Likes